Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using ic's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohammed elzaq

i want to design current source with around 12khz and variable amplitude (1 mA - 15 mA) using ic's not transistors
thanx

mohammed elzaq said:
i want to design current source with around 12khz and variable amplitude (1 mA - 15 mA) using ic's not transistors
thanx

A 555 timer with the output through a POT.

A current source must be a very high impedance so that any change of load resistance doesn't cause the current to change.
You could use a very high voltage feeding its current through a very high resistance, or use the collector of a transistor.

Actually, if you want to look at it, a transistor is considered an IC.

IC = Integrated circuit.

a transistor is a chain of 2 diodes with either both cathodes or both anodes connected together. it is the simplest IC, even though the complexity is low.

You can't make a transistor with two diodes.
A transistor isn't a circuit. An IC is an entire circuit.

he was only trying to convert mohamed to transistors instead of IC's and u went and spoilt it :twisted: 8) :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:

Thunderchild said:
he was only trying to convert mohamed to transistors instead of IC's and u went and spoilt it :twisted: 8) :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:
What's wrong with using an opamp controlling a transistor current source at only 12kHz? The combination would have a lot higher output impedance than a single transistor or two.

frankly i think he is at least a little bit confused else I am realy lost. why is 12 KHz necesary ? what has it got to do with a current source. if precision is not necesary he can just use a transistor with a suitable resistor on the base and measure the current with a tester and ajust until correct then just feed the base via the resistor with the 555 output. or make a precision current source like someone else will have to suggest and power it with the output of the 555 or even gate the current with another transistor.

Thunderchild said:
frankly i think he is at least a little bit confused else I am realy lost. why is 12 KHz necesary ? what has it got to do with a current source. if precision is not necesary he can just use a transistor with a suitable resistor on the base and measure the current with a tester and ajust until correct then just feed the base via the resistor with the 555 output. or make a precision current source like someone else will have to suggest and power it with the output of the 555 or even gate the current with another transistor.

As with many questions here, it's far too vague - he needs to give more details of exactly what he's wanting to do!.

This is the eighth reply, and we've no way of knowing if any of them has the slightest relevence?.

Maybe he wants to feed the 12kHz current source to the base of a transistor amplifier to avoid the high distortion caused by the transistor's transconductance non-linearity when it is fed by a voltage source.

Attachments

• transistor_s_output.png
    transistor_s_output.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 608
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back