Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using higher voltage in RC car

Status
Not open for further replies.

regulator7812

Hi,
I have an RC car that uses a 9.6v battery pack. I want to increase its speed and have heard that motors can tolerate a wide range of voltages without being burnt. Can i
1. Use a larger battery pack like 12v?
2. OR use a transistor as a switch and wire the motor independently to another battery pack of 12v?
When the car reverses the terminals in the wire attached to the motor also change. Will the transistor work if the terminals are reversed?
I am prepared to risks only regarding the motor.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

The control unit is normally the problem.

In this case though it might be alright run from 12V rather than 9.6V but don't blame me if it melts down.

And no, a transistor won't work if it's terminals are reversed.

I have run r/c boats (surface drives, etc) on very high voltages. In my case I used ESC (electronic speed controllers), although on occasion I did use mechanical arm type that was rated for it. I went as high as 36 volts in some of my projects.

What type of speed controller are you using? If ESC, simply use one that is rated for the higher voltage. If mechanical, I am thinking that the ceramic resistor may burn out quicker. In actuality, 12 V is not that much more voltage to be concerned about in this instance, from my experience with r/c.

I believe this is simpler than you are making it out to be. Good luck & have fun!

EDIT: BTW, if you are looking for a speed increase (top end?) gearing would probably be the way to go. I would also recommend installing a heatsink on the motor case, they can really get hot. I have also swapped out armatures in the standard 540 size motors for better performance. That is probably the best solution to really get that motor cranking, even using the standard size battery pack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back