Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Flip-Flops in CUPL on a 16v8 GAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jupiter669

I am having trouble understanding how to use the flip flop in GAL 16v8, being programmed with WinCUPL. I have the logic equations figured out for my flip flops and I understand the the extension on a variable is .d for a d flip flop (which I want to use) , but what about the clocks, presets, clears, etc. How do I set those items. I want the circuit to be synchronous if that helps any.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what "GAL 16v8, being programmed with WinCUPL" means.

But in general, the clock input is used to trigger the Flip Flop (ie. the set and reset the FF synchronously).

Some FFs trigger on the positive edge (ie. a Low to High transition) and others on the negative edge. The preset is an asynchronous input which allows the FF to be set, ie. to set the Q output High.

The clear is an asynchronous input which allows the FF to be reset, ie. to set the Q output Low.

Len

jupiter669 said:
I am having trouble understanding how to use the flip flop in GAL 16v8, being programmed with WinCUPL. I have the logic equations figured out for my flip flops and I understand the the extension on a variable is .d for a d flip flop (which I want to use) , but what about the clocks, presets, clears, etc. How do I set those items. I want the circuit to be synchronous if that helps any.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

This sounds like something that you will only be able to find in WinCUPL documentation. I say that because how you describe something like the clock of a flipflop to the WinCUPL software is specific to that software.
Maybe someone else here has used CUPL or winCUPL..

Whether or not your system is synchronous or not, depends on how you have designed it which, is not available here for us to see.

I can't offer a whole lot of help either, having no experience with GALs, but I have done CPLDs with WinCUPL. To figure out how to use the FFs in my device, I had to get intimate with the documentation for it. I mean, I had to dig! That, plus a lot of experimentation. My CPLD was FLASH based, so I could try and try and try again, I don't know how your GAL is programmed. If it's OTP,... well, that won't work. What you are looking for is which extensions your device supports. Who is the manufacturer?

j.

John Sorensen said:
To figure out how to use the FFs in my device, I had to get intimate with the documentation for it. I mean, I had to dig!

Wincupl is a sort of primitive vhdl, but I have now figured it out. I just had to append ".d" to my output variables, then attached my clock to pin #1 and ground pin #11. And yeah I did have to get intimate with the GAL16v8 and WinCUPL documentation to figure it all out.

This thread is over 11 years old.
jupiter669 has not visited the forum for more than 11 years.
Looks like you may have to design your own project.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back