Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using DMM 20kH frequency range question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

I have just been lent a DMM with a frequence setting on it, the dial says 20kH but what I don't understand is how to use it and what results to expect.

What I mean is, is there a certain Voltage or limit on the voltage of the item being measured? As there is only one setting for frequency, will the meter accept for instance 220v AC as in the English mains and if so what would be the least voltage that would be acceptable?

I know little of frequency measurement and the instruction book just says "connect probes to measure frequency" some help indeed! With no mention of WHAT is safe or expected for the meter.

Maybe I'm wrong altogether and there is no relationship between frequency and voltage, but to me it would seem like magic if the meter could accept any input voltage and still measure the frequency correctly!

I was hoping to measure the output of a 555 ic with the meter, but there seems to be little happening when I try, so am I on the wrong track or what ?

I don't want to kill the DMM as it is not mine, so I need some advice please on how to measure the 555 outputs frequency.

Thanks in advance..........Al :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back