Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using components to jump traces - rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico

I have seen many designs which use components to jump over top of traces (especially 1 sided board designs which makes sense).
I was wondering if there is anything specific that I should look out for when doing this, I assume if I am routing a board then as long as I meet my clearance specs I'll be ok.

Are there any types of signals i shouldnt route under components, or components that shouldnt be over top of a signal trace.

ie/ maybe i shouldn't run a PWM signal over top of another PWM signal.

One basic rule is to separate digital from analogue...Nothing under or around a crystal...Care around the gate of a mosfet... There are places on the internet that comment on design rules... One good thing is, it is being designed into routing software nowadays...

Oh yeah one last thing BIG ground traces as short as possible..

Last edited:
I have seen many designs which use components to jump over top of traces (especially 1 sided board designs which makes sense).
I was wondering if there is anything specific that I should look out for when doing this, I assume if I am routing a board then as long as I meet my clearance specs I'll be ok.

Are there any types of signals i shouldnt route under components, or components that shouldnt be over top of a signal trace.

ie/ maybe i shouldn't run a PWM signal over top of another PWM signal.

hi,
This pdf covers most points.

EDIT:
Deleted and reloaded for test

Last edited:
Eric! that link doesn't seem to work..

hi Ian,
Thats the 2nd pdf [ thats be posted before OK ] that now dosnt work.???

EDIT:
Just deleted the pdf and re uploaded, still dosnt work! will let EM know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back