Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using ceramic cap instead of a polarized one

Status
Not open for further replies.

noptical

Hi
Newbie here so please bear with me.
I'm building a small white led driver circuit using the ICs datasheet. It requires two polarized caps, one 4.7uf and one 1uf. Can't I just use small ceramic smd caps instead (I have some lying around with high enough voltage rating)?

I'm just wondering, how come in the circuit in the datasheet they use polarised caps? Aren't they more expensive than ceramics?

Can't I just use small ceramic smd caps instead (I have some lying around with high enough voltage rating)?
If you have some small ceramic smd caps lying around, it's unlikely they are 4.7µF. As Nigel noted, 4.7µF ceramic caps are quite large.

If you have some small ceramic smd caps lying around, it's unlikely they are 4.7µF. As Nigel noted, 4.7µF ceramic caps are quite large.

could have fold me on both counts:

Digi-Key - 445-5170-1-ND (Manufacturer - C1608X5R1A475K) 10V 4.7uF 0603 $0.26

Digi-Key - 445-5178-1-ND (Manufacturer - C1608X5R0J475K) 6.3V $0.13

the latter would be plenty to drive a single LED, which is what must be assumed since there is no statement to the contrary.

In production i would use the latter, if it warranted getting a new stock number, at $0.02 each on a reel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back