Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using C or Assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkim01

Hi, everyone. Just another newbie here :D
Got some questions as you know.
I have bought pic16f84 and pic16f627 with programmer kit but i found that mplab does not support C for 16f.
So i thought just buy an 18f452 so i can use C.
Or should I just stick with 16f and use hi-tech picc compiler which i just downloaded?
To be honest, I want to use assembly but I have been studying a lot and still have absolutely no idea what to do. Because I have better understanding in C I thought just stick with C or unless if there is dead easy tutorial I should try with.
So I've got few choices.
1. Use 16f with C with some new compiler (hi-tech picc)
2. Use 16f with assembly
3. use 18f with C with mplab

Oh just about the C compiler that I couldn't just use normal C compiler that use for normal programming such as GCC?
Because my programmer kit requires a hex file and i just assume any type of hex file is ok? not sure this one though...

Thanks people :D :D ;)

rkim01 said:
Hi, everyone. Just another newbie here :D
Got some questions as you know.
I have bought pic16f84 and pic16f627 with programmer kit but i found that mplab does not support C for 16f.
So i thought just buy an 18f452 so i can use C.
Or should I just stick with 16f and use hi-tech picc compiler which i just downloaded?
To be honest, I want to use assembly but I have been studying a lot and still have absolutely no idea what to do. Because I have better understanding in C I thought just stick with C or unless if there is dead easy tutorial I should try with.
So I've got few choices.
1. Use 16f with C with some new compiler (hi-tech picc)
2. Use 16f with assembly
3. use 18f with C with mplab

Oh just about the C compiler that I couldn't just use normal C compiler that use for normal programming such as GCC?
Because my programmer kit requires a hex file and i just assume any type of hex file is ok? not sure this one though...

All a C compiler does is produce assembler code, but it MUST produce assembler for the correct processor - no good compiling a PC C program to 8088 assembler and expecting it to run on a PIC!.

So it's essential you use a compiler that produces PIC code.

Personally I would suggest you learn PIC assembler, it's probably simpler than C anyway? - and you can't use a C compiler effectively without at least a minimum knowledge of assembler. After you've got a basic understanding, by all means move to a C compiler - and at least you'll understand what you're doing then!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back