Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a walmount transformer in reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

googliano

Hello.

I would like to know if I can use a 120VAC to 9VDC wall transformer in reverse. That is, can I apply, say a 9V battery, to the cord end of the transformer and get whatever stepped-up AC voltage out of the prongs that would normally plug into the wall?

I was told yes in a forum but it does not seem to work for me. I have to be missing something.

Thanks

Hi, googliano! Welcome to ETO!
What you are probably missing is the driver circuit that pulses the DC voltage from the battery into the transformer. In order for the voltage to step up, you would need to pulse 9 volts into one end to create and collapse the magnetic field that causes the voltage to change. It also may not work if there is extra circuitry in your wall transformer, like a rectifier.
Der Strom

Thanks DerStrom8! I have heard something like what you have just said. But what you just said makes perfect sense. Thank you so much.

Thanks DerStrom8! I have heard something like what you have just said. But what you just said makes perfect sense. Thank you so much.

No problem. I'm always glad to help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back