Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using a Visay IR receiver in place of a photodiode

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnab321

hi, my parents wont allow e-marketing and the local dealers here dont have any photodiode. so, i bought an ir receiver, as the photo diode in the specification was supposed to act like an IR receiver only. The model i bought is HS0038(visay).

the circuit im talking about is attached to this post.
more details about that circuit here **broken link removed**

now, how do i connect that receiver in place of the IR photodiode?

Attachments

• Infrared device schematics.gif
    Infrared device schematics.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 3,506
Last edited:
There are a few sites that have datasheets. I looked at the datasheet for the HS0038A and HS0038B from Datasheet Archive - Free Datasheet Search Engine :: PDF Datasheets :: Data Sheet :: Datasheet :: Application Note : çš„å￾‚æ•° : 规格书 : 技术资料 : ë￾°ì￾´í„°ì‹œíŠ¸ : データ・シート : Fiche technique : Datenblatt : опиÑ￾ание . I did not compare them. They look the same.

The datasheet shows that it needs a regulated 5V supply with a 100 ohm resistor and a 4.7uF capacitor for power. Its max allowed output current is only 5mA. It is tuned to 38kHz. It has automatic-gain-control which reduces its gain if the 38kHz IR signal is continuous because it expects data in bursts.

It might replace the photo-diode and transistor parts in your Rx circuit.

If you know all this forgive me. It is often difficult to tell.

The photo dioed will respond to any IR light and pass on the 38 kHz signal. The receiver will go high when 38 kHz IR light is present. This makes a difference in the receiver software. But it is a good difference in that it is simpler.

You can build just the transmitter from your schematic using the transistor the IR LED, 1K ohm resistor, and the 22 ohm resistor. You should find a circuit for the receiver in the data sheet. They are quite simple.

3v0

Last edited:
well, im very new to circuitry. can only interpret the connections. dont yet have a good knowledge of the terms. can u elaborate a little as to which terminals of the IRda to connect and where?

The photo diode will respond to any IR light and pass on the 38 kHz signal. The receiver will go high when 38 kHz IR light is present.
The output of the IR receiver IC does the opposite. Its output goes low when it receives IR radiation.

The output of the IR receiver IC does the opposite. Its output goes low when it receives IR radiation.
Yup you got me. Active low. :)

I tried to find the datasheet on the link you posted but if it was there I missed it. Also Octopart does not have it listed.

If he is local I will send him a photo diode.

arnab321, what country are you living in ?

An ordinary 1N4148 diode in a glass case makes a pretty good photo-diode.

well, i just built only the transmiter and connected it to my motherboard. but there appars no IR icon or such. checked device manager. it says a built-in IR device detected. i also took my digital camera and saw the led through the viewfinder-yes it was blinking occasionally, but without any reason! can u tell me why?

oh, i thought of transmitting files from my pc to my mobile. but nokia pc suite would first detect the phone using a receiver, then transmit files. can u instruct me as to how to make the receiver and combine it with the transmitter? i fear to experiment and damage the motherboard.

i wont use 1N4148, as it would be affected even by visible light. maybe using a voltage regulator with Vishay HS0038, with some capacitors and resistors?

A photo-diode needs to have a high gain amplifier to work properly. The Vishay IR receiver IC has the photo-diode, the amplifier and a lot of other important things.
The Vishay IR receiver IC must have the power supply that is shown in its datasheet.

ok, i just connected the ir receiver ic to the pins-ground, +5v, and data out. but it is not detecting any irda device.

Last edited:
Vishay make many IR receiver ICs. The TSOP1738 is discontinued but others are still made and a glance at their datasheets does not show any difference.
The HS0038 might also be discontinued.

another thing...the datasheet says that it can receive data at 800 bits per second. but in device manager's properties, the lowest transmission rate is 2400 bits/s. is this the reason why it it not detecting and ir devices? and what do i need to d to solve the problem?

another thing...the datasheet says that it can receive data at 800 bits per second. but in device manager's properties, the lowest transmission rate is 2400 bits/s. is this the reason why it it not detecting and ir devices? and what do i need to d to solve the problem?
Use an IR receiver IC that is newer.
Years ago people used 300 baud modems. Now my cable modem is good for 10M baud.

Use 555 timer to generate 38kHZ frequency and use PNA4602M 38kHZ IR receiver. It a simple circuit and a perfect one.

Use 555 timer to generate 38kHZ frequency and use PNA4602M 38kHZ IR receiver. It a simple circuit and a perfect one.
No.
Like the Vishay IR receivers, the Panasonic one is also most sensitive to a burst of no more than 16 pulses of 38khz. Continuous 38kHz will cause it to reduce its gain. They don't say how much its gain is reduced.

i have used 555 in d receiver side as well,i m not geting tsop1736 in d market,what should i do in place of dat??????

i m doing a project on "Automatic on off systems of light using 89c4051 microcontroller".in the transmitter side i have used 555 timer in astable mode and an ir led is connected to transmit a frequency of 36 khz.in the receiver side we were supposed to use TSOP1736 bt it is nt available in the market,what should i do in place of that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back