Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a low impedence speaker in place of a high impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim_l_012

Hi All,

As i was fixing my kodak ez200 digital camera, when I pulled the back off, it broke the speaker, which is fairly important. Now, I have looked for replacements, and found one that would possibly fit, the only problem being that its an 8ohm speaker, and the old one that came out of the camera had 100ohm written on it.

Can I use this 8ohm speaker?

Thanks in advance, :)

A camera with a speaker? What won't they think of next? Does it play recorded messages?
But, to answer the question, NO, don't use the 8 ohm speaker because it will overload the driver, possibly damaging it. A replacement should be available from Kodak, or a Kodak repair shop.

FYI - my Kodak DC290 ( I think) has a mic/speaker that allows me to record whatever I want tied to a picture. I've never used the feature but could record a narrative that might help add value to the picture. The camera is a few years old - I obtained it used.

I'd like to think that speaker can be obtained from the same place that Kodak obtained it. I worked there for 20 yrs and in the past it would not surprize me to find that the camera is made from one of a kind components however in the past 10 yrs they've done well to employ tried and true components and technology where it makes sense rather than invent their own. Try MCM, Newark, Jameco, Mouser, Allied and places like that.

Hmm so you reckon I'd have to call up kodak for a replacement.. Seeing as I'm in australia anyone know of a electrical store where I could get one? Also why would they use a 100ohm speaker if they are so hard to come across??

tim_l_012 said:
Also why would they use a 100ohm speaker if they are so hard to come across??

That's simple, it's easier to drive and requires less power - you don't need much volume from it, and the less power it takes the longer the batteries will last. From a manufacturing point of view it's not hard to come across, you simply specify the impedance when you order them, and the manufacturer makes them for you.

IM me with the specifics on the camera. I will forward, via email, to some old friends/neighbors at Kodak to see if they can find someone in that area who can advise. Can't make many promises as the whole company is changing rapidly. They just sold their space division to ITT. Still, we might get lucky.

Do you reckon this 100ohm resistor would work? That would save me a lot of trouble having to find one overseas.

The speaker basically made a noise when it was in/out of focus, or when you held the button down half way for the fine tune focus, it would beep to signal that it was ready to take a photo, then when you click the button down all the way, it would make the infamous camera noise that old cameras used to make.

It was very handy, and now I can't tell when I've taken a picture or not. If it could be fixed by putting a 100ohm resistor inline with the 8ohm speaker, I would love to know about it :D

Tim.

tim_l_012 said:
It was very handy, and now I can't tell when I've taken a picture or not. If it could be fixed by putting a 100ohm resistor inline with the 8ohm speaker, I would love to know about it :D

It'll work fine, but it will be much quieter than it was before, the resistor will dissipate 93% of the power and the speaker only 7%.

resisters in series and power!

Screech said:
what if he solders up a 100 ohm resistor to the 8 ohm speaker(in series)? :?
this would be to much resistence causing a shortage in power. That speaker requires a certain amount of power to work properly. What he might try doing is finding a 100ohm resister with a 10% fault line and measure them with an ohmmeter until he finds 2 or 3 that are at 92 ohms then place them is series with the speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back