Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a laptop LCD display in a car for Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott35dcar

I am new to this and was wondering how possible it would be to use a LCD display extracted from a laptop to play DVD video using a mobile DVD player. I am under the impression that there is a A/D conversion that needs to happen.

Can anyone help me with this.

scott35dcar said:
I am new to this and was wondering how possible it would be to use a LCD display extracted from a laptop to play DVD video using a mobile DVD player. I am under the impression that there is a A/D conversion that needs to happen.

Can anyone help me with this.

An LCD display from a laptop requires a huge amount of electronics to function (which is on the laptop motherboard), it's NOT a monitor, and even if it was, a computer monitor isn't compatible with video signals.

Thanks Nigel,

I guess I am just ignorant on this subject but, If a computer monitor isn't compatible with video signals how do you watch any video? There is a conversion process correct?

How does a standard LCD monitor differ from a Laptop LCD?

I do appologize for posting such uniformed material.

Yes, there's a conversion process - involving a LOT of digital processing. Basically the incoming video signal is digitised and stored in RAM, it's then read out at a different rate, to match the computer monitor.

As well as this, it has to convert the number of lines per picture, and the number of pictures per second - a PAL television has 625 lines and shows 25 pictures per second, the line frequency is 15,625Hz, PC monitors use many times higher than that.

A standard LCD monitor is just that - A MONITOR - a laptop screen is just a screen, it doesn't include all the extra parts that make a monitor, they are integrated in the motherboard (and probably don't actually have all the sections to make a full monitor, as it's not needed).

Sorry.. Abt the difference btw LCD monitor and Laptop LCD..

I have a Laptop whose display doesn't show on the LCD but when i connect a regular Monitor (CRT) or LCD, VOILA!!! it comes up.

I have opened it up to find out wat's up but there's not indication of the signal being discontinued or the Screen gone bad

Demola

demokesola said:
Sorry.. Abt the difference btw LCD monitor and Laptop LCD..

I have a Laptop whose display doesn't show on the LCD but when i connect a regular Monitor (CRT) or LCD, VOILA!!! it comes up.

I have opened it up to find out wat's up but there's not indication of the signal being discontinued or the Screen gone bad

I believe a common cause is failure of the backlight?, either the backlight itself, or the voltage generator that feeds it?.

It almost deserves a Sticky topic. Everybody wants to recycle those LCD displays, there's so many retired/busted laptops out there. It sounds easy but just doesn't work for the reasons mentioned. The controller which makes the driving signals is integrated into the motherboard, won't take in VGA/NTSC, and the signals themselves as well as the wire harness are specific to the make and model of LCD so it's impractical to develop a controller setup to do the job.

Somebody should make a law that laptop mfgs must make the LCD so it can be run if removed. Keeps all that stuff out of the landfill. Who wants to sign the petition?

i have actually run into the same curiosity. i currently have a monitor for a HP omnibook900 and some newish not to cheap not to expensive dvd player.
and was wanting to build a dvd player attached to the monitor. but was wondering myself what the diagrams of each device were. well after getting those i ran into the same problemthe origional poster ran into. how the heck do i go from the little 6-pin connector to the massive 51-pin connector that is used to connect the monitor to the motherboard of the old laptop. now i know nigel got into the different signal and processing picture speeds. the question i have is how would i speed up that signal. and if there is a way how would i build it.

sorry about the length. but i have this bug that when im told its impossible i set out to prove wrong. lol now offense thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back