Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a doorbell circuit to control things. Radio control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazzo

Hello boiz

I have a doorbell circuit yea, im only interested in the wireless control part of it.

How can i modify it to click and latch a relay when i press the button from any ware in the house. Also if it is somehow possible unlatch the relay when pressed again. Im sure you know what i mean.

I was looking at it, all i think i have to do is create some sort of maybe, flip flip circuit (if i understand what they actually are correctly) so it will take the first signal, and send it to the relay, which will latch somehow. then it waits for a second signal, that it will just cut the power to the relay, or unlatch it.

Also, i thought about using a MOSFET as a switch, as it will conserve battery power that will be taken from energizing a relay coil for however long the circuit is active.

Thanks boiz.

As far as the latching you could likely just use a D flip flop. You will need to take a look at the signal sent to the actual chime device or whatever is used for sound on the doorbell. But yeah, it should be easy enough to do. You will need to come off the F/F and I would drive a small transistor to drive the relay, maybe like a 2N2222 depending on what you want for a relay. It all starts with the actual signal you have that makes the sound.

Ron

Ohk thanks Boss

I measured the DC output from the wires that origonally lead to the speaker, and it puts out 3V steady for 8 seconds, then it goes to 0

So, what kind of flip flop do i need. (i dont know what they are, ill google them later) you said D type, is that one thing? can i google D type flip flop and any will do??

As for the transistor driving the relay, i can do later. i just want to get the actual circuit that tells the relay system what to do working off the chime signal

Last edited:
Here's the very clever circuit I designed for your application:
**broken link removed**
Short tone = ON Long tone = OFF

You pick up the signal before the chime chip.

Last edited:
Attached is an example of using a D flip flop as a latch. However, I like Collin's circuit. His would appear to do it all without any need for signal conditioning.

Ron

Attachments

• D Latch FF.gif
    D Latch FF.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 278
Ok, yes colin it looks very simple to make, but could you please explain how i use it in more detail :) (im a beginner)

Also, is the picture cut off? and what is the motor for??

Here's more:

**broken link removed**
The circuit contains a filter, 2 Time Delays, a buffer to drive the relay and a latch (4k7)
The motor turns on with a short pulse and off with a long pulse. You can use anything on the output of the relay

Ohk, thanks bro

So i connect the doorbell speaker output to the two leads at the bottom left. The base and emitter of the BC547??

And this will cause the relay to latch with one press, and unlatch with another press?

ohk, so the motor is just a relay add on, cool i understand :)

Lol yea its been off for ages :p

What did you mean "short tone on, long tone off" before

Last edited:
but the doorbell transmitter is pushbutton, i dont think it works off time its pressed for. You press it once and it does its tone, the output wires im using are from the speaker. Thats where there is 3V for 8 seconds, thats from the tone as it plays. if i hold the transmitter down for a long time, it doesnt make a difference it just sends a signal to the receiver, and the circuitry there takes over in playing the tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back