Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a computer power supply as bench supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rationalphi

I've got a power supply out of an old computer I think it's an AT not an ATX style but I'm not 100% positive. I'm not really sure if there is any dead give aways here.

If it is an AT I'm wondering if I need to hook up a "dummy load" to operate it. I've been told when using an ATX it always needs to see some load to operate.

Thanks.

Okay, looks like I've got an AT then. It is out of a quite old computer.
There is no grey or green wires either.

So I don't need to do anything else to this power supply?

I was intending to use this to provide power to a micro-contoller and some transducers all 5 volts and I was going to use the 12 volt outputs to power the coils of some mechanical relays.

I've heard these power supplies create a lot of noise. Do you think it will be a problem in this circuit? If so what might be the best filtering methods.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back