Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using a 320W flash with a 150W inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

denoise

Hi All!

this is my first post and I need some help.
I have a 150W sinus inverter I want to use with a 320W flash strobe... ok, ok, I know it sounds stupid, but wait.

**broken link removed** demands 320W in one second and then stops. I can use my 150W inverter only if I raise slowly the flash power slider, otherwise the security system in the inverter stops the unit.

The flash manufacturer sell a unit for external power using **broken link removed**, but this one works with no problems even with several lights up to 5120W!. How do they do that ?.. they say it's a special inverter but I doubt it is something so special. The trick is that the this special inverter makes recycle time longer.

So, lets say that normally the 320W flash unit recycles to full power in 1 sec. , using the "special" 150W inverter the recycle time doubles to 2 sec. Using two 320 flashes, the recycle time is now 4 seconds, and so on.

So I guess this inverter can provide 150W constantly to much higher cosumption units without triggering the security circuit.

Is there a way I can limit the flash consumption in order to work with my normal 150W sinus inverter !?

Thanks!

When you ramp up the power to the flash, you are limiting the peak current which allows the inverter to work. What you need is an automatic current limit for AC. I have never seen one, so can't help you there. It is going to increase the recycle time, no way to get around that.

Russlk said:
When you ramp up the power to the flash, you are limiting the peak current which allows the inverter to work. What you need is an automatic current limit for AC. I have never seen one, so can't help you there. It is going to increase the recycle time, no way to get around that.

thanks.

perhaps something like this would work?
**broken link removed**

tanks for your replies!

Russlk said:
No, that is a DC current limiter. I tried to make it into an AC limiter but could not fine good parts.

thanks for your information!

perhaps something like this can work :roll: ?
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back