Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using a 230V 50hz appliance in a 110v 60hz output

Status
Not open for further replies.

anacaona

Hi all,

I hope you can help me figure out a solution for my problem. I have no idea about electronics, so please try to give me an answer in simple language.

I'm moving from Europe to South America and before taking things there , I want to make sure I'm going to be able to use them.

Specifically, I want to know if a 50hz sewing machine will work there. I know I can buy a transformer, but they only solve the voltage difference. Is there any way around the frequency?

How about a smaller device, again 50hz? (It's a mouth irrigator, "waterpik")

I've read contradictory information about this. Some say there's no way around it. Others say objects will work everywhere (I don't want to take the risk of paying transport fees for nothing), and some say there are frequency converters available but quite expensive.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

It depends on the motor and if theres any electronics in the machine that uses the mains frequency.
My mrs's sewing machine uses a universal motor and that would work fine on 60hz, an induction motor would also work allthough a little faster than on 50hz.

I dont know what a waterpik is.

The items that tend to find frequency important are clocks, older turntables and devices that keep time or have motors that turn at an accurate speed, even if the sewing machine showed the time I dont think it'd be that bad if it ran fast.

Last edited:
not sure where in South America you go but many places use 220V 50Hz:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
why no matter?

why would one need to use adapter to run something designed for 230V 50Hz if powered by 220V 50Hz?
that is 4% voltage decrease which for mains is negligible.

Thank you for answering. The country I'm moving to, is Ecuador: 110v 60hz.

I don't mind if my sewing machine will work faster, as long as it's safe and it doesn't overheat. I've heard even polarity, which I don't know anything about, may have an influence.
Panic mode, so, you think that it does matter?.

Some devices have a label with both 50hz/60hz, but the pedal only says "50hz". Like I said, I'm afraid of taking the risk of paying shipment costs for nothing.

Thank you!

pd. I'm editting the post to say that the pedal says "50hz" but the machine says 50/60hz. How about buying a universal pedal?

And, do I need to buy a specific voltage transformer? I've heard a small one with a botton for both options is only good enough for small appliances. Can you give me recommendation?

Last edited:
my last comment was response to post #4. AC has no polarity. transformer with power at least equal to power draw of your machine is needed to step up voltage (if using isolation transformer). it can also be smaller in size (50%) and not isolated (wired as autotransformer). depending on motor type you may get faster machine (20% faster).

i don't know how attached you are to a sewing machine, but one option is to sell it and later buy another one. that will also take care of transportation.

Hi anacaona,

there won't be any problem driving a sewing machine motor at 60Hz mains frequency.

Just go ahead and purchase a reversible 220/230V to 110/115V transformer. Use a power rating double as much as the rating of both, sewing machine and irrigator (in case you want to use both at the same time and want to keep the transformer cool).

Frequency shouldn't be an issue since the sewing motor uses a rheostat built into the pedal.

You will notice a minor change behavior of the sewing machine motor speed - that's all.

Boncuk

The WaterPik is typically used in the bathroom, so I would not use the transformer conversion there. The instructions I found online shows a plug in mains transformer/power supply. These are usually available. The barrel, tip and secondary voltage needs to be close. The secondary current need to be equal or higher. They come in AC and DC versions. Waterpik may have one for your area. Make sure the Waterpik tips are available in the area too or are orderable. As a substitute for the Waterpik, check out the Phillips Airfloss.

There re sewing machines and their are SEWING MACHINES. The simple ones are motor and the pedal. Nearly no electronics. If by chance there is a phase angle controller in the pedal, then there might be issues wth the pedal. There are microprocessor based sewing machines also.

There re sewing machines and their are SEWING MACHINES. The simple ones are motor and the pedal. Nearly no electronics. If by chance there is a phase angle controller in the pedal, then there might be issues wth the pedal. There are microprocessor based sewing machines also.

Would you kindly explain the difference between "sewing machines" and " SEWING MACHINES"?

Even if a phase controller is inside the pedal it won't make any difference in motor behavior. Sewing machine motors are normally brushed AC motors and don't care much for phase control. :)

Boncuk

I'd reccomend for safety reasons that you use an isolating type transformer if your going to use the waterpik in the bathroom, using electrical appliances in the bathroom comes with its risks, not just water but earthed pipework and the likes.
When you buy the transformer ask for one that is isolated, ie not an autotransformer (no insult panic mode you probably didnt know it was gonna be used in the bathroom).

Last edited:
Having bounced around the globe for a decade or so I can suggest the following. Packing for and moving on an international basis is no fun. I am sure Hans and other world travelers will agree. Personally for something like a Water Pik I would not bother packing, shipping, and unpacking the thing. Water Piks or their equivalents can be had globally pretty easy designed to run fine in the host country. For the sewing machine I would not screw with inverter gizmos and gadgets but if I drag one along I would run it off a transformer in my destination country. The merit to the transformer being the sine wave out. Any motor designed for 50 Hz will generally run on 60 Hz. They just run a little faster and likely warmer. I ran a 120 VAC 60 Hz large 18 cubic foot refrigerator in Italy on 220 VAC using a large transformer, the compressor ran likely slower and warmer but it ran fine the 3 years I used it. I ended up with it as a good deal from another American who was leaving Italy as I arrived. Generally speaking I travel light and buy what I need when I get where I am going.

Just My Take
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back