Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using 3 CD4026s as an alternative to an MC14553

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamarama

Hello everyone, I have a circuit that requires me to use a 4553 3 digit counter and a 4511 BCD to 7 Segment Decoder. I do not have this IC on hand, nor does my local electronics shop have it. I have seen it on RS for £2.22 each with a minimum order of 10. It seems stupid to spend £22.20 when I only need 1 IC.

I also have a large number (20ish) of CD4026s on hand just waiting to get used. If I wire these as a 3 digit counter using the carry out pins, would I be able to feed it the same inputs as the 4553 and get it to behave? I don't mind having to add inverters, as I have a couple of 4069 hex inverters lying around too. This is mainly to save me waiting on ordering parts online, I'm a tad impatient when it comes to things arriving from the internet! :D.

I'm using this circuit http://members.shaw.ca/roma/fc.html just so you know. :)

Many thanks! :)

Do you have LEDs?
The CD4026 drives a 7 segment LED while the 4553+4511 drive a (3x7 segment LED)

Here is a circuit similar to your requirement
MFC-2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back