Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using 12v variable voltage battery on 12v electronic equipment. Will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1pubber

Hi experts thanks for looking at my post. I am building a small satellite finder using a 12v 7"TV and a 12v satellite receiver. The variable output of the battery is 14.4-15v ( **broken link removed** ) I want to use this to power the devices. The tv is rated at 1.2a and the receiver at 1.0a. will i need to solder a resistor to ensure no over volting of the equipment? also what will i need to be able to recharge such a battery. can you use like a car battery charge for this type of thing or charge off of my cigarette lighter socket or a standard adpated 12v power supply?

Thanks for your advice everyone

Mike

Realistically, at a discharge rate of 2.2A, your proposed 7Ah SLA will run your stuff for only about 2 hours.

The only time the terminal voltage of the SLA will be 14.7V is during heavy charging. If left sitting for a few hours after coming off charge, the open circuit voltage of the SLA will drop to about 13.4V. The voltage of your SLA under load will almost instantly drop to <12.4V. The TV is designed to operate in a car or RV, and will see input voltages of 11.5 to 14.5V if the engine is running. Your problem will be at the other end; does your equipment still work when the battery voltage sags to ~11.0V. You should never discharge your SLA below 1.75V per Cell = 10.5V, ideally stop at 11.0V, or higher.

Recharging an SLA in a running car ALMOST works. Ideally, the charge voltage for the SLA should be 14.7V; your car's alternator will only be putting out ~14.2 to 14.4V. Another problem is exceeding the initial recharging current if you plug a mostly discharged battery into the cigar plug on a running car. The data sheet is emphatic about limiting the initial charge current to only 2.2A

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back