Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Uses for Transistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewGuy

Hello All,
I have these transistors, I cannot find datasheets for them. Possibly because they are too old? I was hoping someone could tell me about them and what they could be used for?

Thanks Everyone

Attachments

• DSCN7995.JPG
    DSCN7995.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,189
The one on the far left of that image isn't even a transitor, it's likely an IR receiver module. The transistors regardless of their type could probably be used in general switching, without knowing what they are or characterizing them there's no way to tell.

The **broken link removed** is a SCR. The rest may be house numbered parts.

I have a lot of these transistors, and with different part numbers too but I didn't want to go too crazy on you guys. But was hoping someone would recognize one (or all) and give a datasheet or something (thanks kchriste).

It is an IR Reciever! TK69 841 TFM 5360...that is cool! Thanks!

But what are house numbered parts?

House numbered, meaning whoever made them for in house only use. You may never be able to determine what their specs are without a curve tracer.
So far you have an IR receiver and an SCR, so they're obviously not all transistors, you may have linear regulators, or who knows what else mixed in there, so figuring what is what will require a bit of guess work, and possibly some destructive testing.

Last edited:
It sounds like both the IR Receiver and the SCR can be very useful components.

But I'm having trouble understanding what an SCR is?

EDIT: I read that they are for high power electronics, they can be used in light dimmers, and that they can be used for voltage protection. But how they work....?

Last edited:
It sounds like both the IR Receiver and the SCR can be very useful components.

But I'm having trouble understanding what an SCR is?

EDIT: I read that they are for high power electronics, they can be used in light dimmers, and that they can be used for voltage protection. But how they work....?

if you want to know about the working of an SCR, visit this-

How SCR Works

Wikipedia and google are your friend, there are hundreds of thousand of pages availabe that will teach you anything you want to learn about if you have the time to read them.

I have one more question:
When you have a transistor, can you use it for anything? Or is it restricted to the listed application only? (Like an NPN RF Amplifier).

You can use the transistor for anything within it's spec's. ie: You could use that RF transistor as a switch to turn on a LED, but that would just be a waste of an relatively expensive device.

Transistors have many defined (and some not) characteristics which limit their suitability for different applications. Optimizing a transistor for one application will generally effect it's ability to perform well in other applications. Until you get hip deep in the technicalities it's kind of hard to explain better. While you could use an RF transistor in a simple switching application it likely wouldn't work as well as a switching transistor, and most switching transistors would not be able to work as an RF amplifier at all because the parasitic capacitance is too high.

Typically transistors are advertised for their specific uses, but it all boils down to their construction and their various macroscopic effects on the overall semiconductor activity. There are handful of listed specs on a typical datasheet, and dozens more under the scenes that even the most die hard electrical engineer even care about.

you can use the transistor for anything but if and only if its datasheet allows....
Not true. The data sheet does not give or withhold permission for any use. The data sheet suggests the function for which some of the parameters may have been optimized.

You may find that your lecturer gives you restrictions, but this is between you and him.

Not true. The data sheet does not give or withhold permission for any use. The data sheet suggests the function for which some of the parameters may have been optimized.

You may find that your lecturer gives you restrictions, but this is between you and him.

ya and you can not go beyond those parameters.

rahul.sadtm. You should learn this term it's an American phrase (least I think it's American) "There's more than one way to skin a cat" You'd be surprised at the possible uses for simple things that would not ordinarily be considered. There are key parameters that might make certain specific applications impossible, but the possibilities of any single transistor are VAST, and extend well past the recommendations in the datasheet.

I'd disagree a bit with that statement.. A lot of manufacturers state something along the lines of "this device is not intended for use in life support equipment" etc etc so technically the datasheet does withhold permission.. with that said, it doesn't stop you from using it for that purpose :D

No it does not JimFranklin, that's just a legal disclaimer so they can't be held responsible if you do use their device in said application and something goes wrong, and has nothing to do with suitability for a particular use, they just don't want to pay for the certifications that their devices complies with someone elses standards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back