Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Uses for a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ponderer

Hi
I was starting to get interested in PIC technology, I got quite enthuisiastic, and then I pondered... Why use a PIC, a PC and a big MAPLAB software download when the "old"er technology did it quite well?
I have googled endlessly for "uses for PIC controller", "interesting uses for PIC controller", " novel uses for PICs" etc ... and I am left wondering why use a PIC in the first place?
About the most "really useful use" I found was for an automatic plant waterer. This detected the soil humidity, turned on a water pump, lit LEDs, stopped when soil was wet and so forth. A bit O.T.T., I thought.
I understand that PICs are used everywhere nowadays, but how many amateur electronics people have the need to replicate "washing-machine type" automatic controls of this nature?
If I could dream up a number of good uses for a PIC, I know I would enjoy learning the programming as a new personal challenge.
I understand people do enjoy new challenges, but if the end result is the ubiquitous "hammer to crack a nut", could someone please help to motivate me and make me believe that I may have got the wrong end of the stick?
Please help! :)

Mostly PIC's are used to simplify, make cheaper, and provide more facilities.

For example a digital clock - it may take 30 TTL IC's to create one, you can easily do it with a single PIC.

Make a remote control to work your TV - a single PIC.

Almost anything you would have used logic chips for can be done using a PIC better, cheaper, and smaller.

A 555 is an 8 timer chip, you can use an 8 pin PIC to make a timer that's FAR more accurate, far more reliable, and far more versatile.

For this time of year, how about a christmas lights controller, easy and simple to program set patterns and random ones.

Really their uses are far too many to list.

This doesn't apply just to PIC's, but to all microcontrollers, it's just that PIC's are the most popular in the hobby market.

Hi
Thanks, it's great to have feedback so quickly.
Please note, this is a very serious question, I am not wishing to offend or put down any responders.
I suppose what I was really asking was for an original use for a PIC.
I do understand the savings over TTL and relay technology, but I have no "need" to build an electronic clock, as these are so readily available.
What I am asking is, what could I use a PIC for, that is not already available commercially.
Model rail controls and signalling? Use a few relays! Or go really commercial and use D.C.C. technology. Why compete against that kind of development?
Build your own weather station? Dirt cheap already!
Build a go-to telescope? OK, about twenty years ago this would have been a good use for PIC technology, but, again, so readily available commercially now.
Sorry if I appear negative, but I am still pondering a PIC.

Your computer contains several microcontrollers, the keyboard, mouse and even monitor will contain one. The things are everywhere Microchip alone has sold over 5 billion.

If you looking for a reason not to use microcontrollers look no further.

There is a well established school of thought that knows and understands microcontrollers are more work then they are worth. After all, why use a single microcontroller when logic chips can do the job.

It gets a bit more difficult when you need to build a project with USB or Internet connectivity but it can be done. It just takes more time, more chips, a larger PCB, and more money.

With some work you can ever do model railway digital control without using a micro controller. This aproach only works well with garden scale layouts.

What are you thinking !

There is a world of fun projects you can do with microcontollers. Do you want to invest the time it takes to live in that world. Your choice.

If you want to make the journey I suggest that you lean to program C on a PC first. Then start with microcontrollers. It is easier that way.

3v0 :)

You are seeking justification or verification for a choice you have already made. With thinking like this how do you find the motivation to get up in the morning? Why compete for anything including a salary!

I suppose what I was really asking was for an original use for a PIC.
What I am asking is, what could I use a PIC for, that is not already available commercially.....Why compete against that kind of development?
Build your own weather station? Dirt cheap already!..

Good original ideas become products. If you do not have the talent to build what has already been done you will not have the talent to build that new idea when it comes to you.

Why use a PIC? What kind of question is that? Use an AVR from Atmel...

Microcontrollers reduce size, cost, and power consumption (join the Green-Team), and greatly reduces design time. With less parts on the board, it greatly reduces the headaches troubleshooting when things go wrong (usually the PIC :) ). I make my own PCBs, hate drilling holes, not interested in getting into SMT.

Guess it's just a matter of time and money. I get lots of ideas, but have little time or money to build. Microcontrollers have greatly improved my productivity.

Hi
Excellent, thanks for your reply, 3vO.
Are you a psychologist? If not, you should be!
Where does the name 3vO come from? Three volts? Is it letter O or numerical 0?
Any way, back to the point. Would you suggest learning C or C# ?
I am not a programmer... at the moment! I work better if I can see fast results...
You mentioned garden scale model rail. Funny enough, I am just finishing laying 32mm track, having built a Roundhouse Lady Anne locomotive. Are you psychic as well?!
Great to hear from you and everyone else on a cold, frosty day in Kidderminster, England.

If you, know electronics, want fast results, are not a programmer (but willing to learn) then my suggestion would be a Junebug and (the free version of) Swordfish Basic.

What would your goal be?

Mike.
On a stinky hot <edit> night </edit> in Brisbane.

Last edited:
Your post made my day!

I am a CS type rather then psychologist. I choose 3v0 because no one else would think of it. It is unique enough that I do not have to be 3v012323.

At one time I frequented metaphysical fairs and still have a friends who are psychics of some sort. But I claim no such ability.

I suggest you learn to use c. Do so using the c++ visual studio tools on the PC. But stay away from the c++ extensions, you can write C code with the c++ toolset. Visual studio has a nice feature called intellisence that helps you with some simple but common error like mispelled function names. You can also click on a function call and instantly see its defintion even if it is in another file. Very handy.

Once you know c you can switch to c for the PIC18 family. There are several good compilers includeing C18 and BoostC. I use both. All these tools are free. The free C18 compilers have limits but BoostC does not and is inexpensive.

If you want to get into writting fancy windows programs on the PC I suggest c# which I think of as c++ done right. I stay away from c++ as I think it is too much of a kludge.

Stay in touch.

3v0

Hi
Excellent, thanks for your reply, 3vO.
Are you a psychologist? If not, you should be!
Where does the name 3vO come from? Three volts? Is it letter O or numerical 0?
Any way, back to the point. Would you suggest learning C or C# ?
I am not a programmer... at the moment! I work better if I can see fast results...
You mentioned garden scale model rail. Funny enough, I am just finishing laying 32mm track, having built a Roundhouse Lady Anne locomotive. Are you psychic as well?!
Great to hear from you and everyone else on a cold, frosty day in Kidderminster, England.

Last edited:
I agree with 3v0 that C would be a good choice but disagree that C++ would be better, it really isn't appropriate for microcontrollers. You can (as suggested by 3v0) use the C++ compiler but just make sure all your files are filename.c and not filename.cpp.

And, if you want to write fancy windows stuff, I recommend Visual Basic V5 or 6.

Mike.
P.S. What is CS type?

I agree with 3v0 that C would be a good choice but disagree that C++ would be better, it really isn't appropriate for microcontrollers. You can (as suggested by 3v0) use the C++ compiler but just make sure all your files are filename.c and not filename.cpp.

And, if you want to write fancy windows stuff, I recommend Visual Basic V5 or 6.

Mike.
P.S. What is CS type?
Computing Science. :D

Ponderer,
You seem to want to create something new. That which is new, is always based on what has been done. (... standing on the shoulders of giants...etc...)
To embroider onto what 3v0 has said, you might read some from T.S. Elliot's "Tradition and the Individual Talent." :)

IMHO the 8bit computers are much more fun than 32 or 64 bit ones, and just worth playing with. The ideas will come as you play.:D

You can (as suggested by 3v0) use the C++ compiler but just make sure all your files are filename.c and not filename.cpp.
Mike.
P.S. What is CS type?

CS is the file extension for "C Sharp" (C#), the C "version" that Microsoft's .NET ("dot NET") uses.

When I said "I am a CS type" I was referring to my computer science background.

IMHO c++ should be scrapped, for any given application there is a better language choice.

On a uC stick with C or Basic.

When I use c on the uC I use C# on the PC side. The transition between the two is nice because C# has deep roots in C. The .NET support in C# is nice and you can write code that is sa simple or complex as you need.

I would use VB on the PC side if I were using Basic on the uC. If you do not need a lot of bells ands whistles there ia a language called Liberty Basic that is quite nice.

In a general sense I am very pleased with C# as a language. It incorporates the roots of C, what we learned from C++, and the good work done by the talented people who wrote Borland's Delphi language system. Roll in the huge amount of .NET code you can link too and it is hard to beat.

It does irk me that MS screwed Borland in the process.

Last edited:
Hello 3v0
Coincidences abound!
A local dignitary was Lady Eddy, a Mayoress and magistrate and she was made an MBE!
I may be off at a tangent! Try that for code!
Best regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back