Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Used parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiffy

G'day. This is all new to me and I have only browsed a few pages so my query may be already answered. I had a pile of old stuff like stereos, tape decks, faxes, printers etc, which I stripped and got all the parts out of them.
I retrieved ICs, resistors, LEDs, capacitors, pots, transistors,diodes, etc, etc, which I mostly unsoldered. I was worried that some of these might be useless after being salvaged, for instance, someone told me old capacitors are no good or unreliable. The units were 1 to 15 years old. I don't build computers, I just potter around with simple stuff. I made a 0-30v DC variable power supply from some recycled parts and it works OK. Are there any bits that are no good?

stiffy said:
G'day. This is all new to me and I have only browsed a few pages so my query may be already answered. I had a pile of old stuff like stereos, tape decks, faxes, printers etc, which I stripped and got all the parts out of them.
I retrieved ICs, resistors, LEDs, capacitors, pots, transistors,diodes, etc, etc, which I mostly unsoldered. I was worried that some of these might be useless after being salvaged, for instance, someone told me old capacitors are no good or unreliable. The units were 1 to 15 years old. I don't build computers, I just potter around with simple stuff. I made a 0-30v DC variable power supply from some recycled parts and it works OK. Are there any bits that are no good?

The main parts that age are electrolytic capacitors, and modern ones have become far worse over the last few years, with electrolytic capacitor failure being one of the most common problems at the present.

So I would tend to carefully inspect all electrolytics, and throw any that show any signs of leakage or swelling, then test the rest as well (if you can?), preferably for both value and ESR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back