Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use Lanc Remote to synchronize cameras??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyb15

I am need of some way to synchronize 4 DCR-VX2100 cameras so they all record at exactly the same time. THey have an ir remote that works on of them, but dont know if this would be sufficient to perfectly sync them?
Would it be possible to build a circuit (or even just split a lanc cable) so that i can accomplish this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

I don't see as it's possible to sync them exactly - assuming they are VCR's?, the mechanical differences would make it impossible.

But why do you want to do such a strange thing?, it sounds pretty pointless?.

Thanks for the reply nigel. They are actually digital camera/camcorders. They do have IR remotes and one will work on all 4, but i would almost need a mirror system or something so i can hit all the sensors. I dont know the exact requirements of my coworker yet, but basically he wants to record from 4 different angles for a 3d effect, but wants them to be synchronized. How synchronized i dont know yet, but eventually he wants to use 24 cameras so i cant very well have 24 people all press record that the same time :)
Any ideas?

Trying to replicate bullet time hmm? Good luck with that 3/4's of how good it looks wasn't even getting the camera shots it was the software they used to morph each frame to make it look smooth.

Sounds like what you need is a micro controller setup which can control each of the LANC signals independantly. That's just for photo's though. Precision syncing of video would require some clock in signal on the camera so that you could feed all the cameras with the same clock signal to keep them in sync, I googled the camera but don't know enough about it to tell you if it's capable of syncing to an external signal. Digital or not they're going to fall out of sync very quickly.
The amount of post production involved in that kind of video is going to be incredible.

I thought about using a pic. The lanc protocol is out there and i know some photographers have built there own remotes using pics or atmels. I have a feeling that this is already more time involved than my work will want to invest but i hope not, kind of sounds like a fun project.
I have a meeting tommorow so ill post more when i know more. They never said "video" so i guess they could also be still shots since the camera is capable. I just figured they want a video since they are using our camcorders.
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back