Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB wire diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

korn_16_f_t_l

hello im looking for a wire diagram for the usb cord that is shaped like a square w/ the rounded edges(female end i beleive).

I have a spare usb cord so the colors inside it are as follows red black green and white (and of course the bare wire for the ground).

all im trying to do to sum it up nice and simple is figure out what wire (red black green and white) correspond with the female end of the USB cable.

if ure interested in what im up to let me know and ill post it up.

justDIY said:
. a hint: usb pinout

thats another thing i was lookin 4 the actual name of what i was up to thanx

NVM i think i get the diagram i c the numbers on each of the coresponding pins now

are all the wire inside a usb cord the same color im assuming?

but if black is ground what is the bare wire? is it a second ground?

Last edited:
ok i found this >>> **broken link removed** if black is ground than what is the bare wire?

and so far no answer as to what color wire responds to what pins in the female end but ill keep looking

there is a signal ground (black wire), and shield (bare). a good cable should have both. a cheap cable has the red, green, white and bare, relying on the shield to also function as the signal ground.

all the colors (black, red, white, green) will be the same in any cable bearing the USB logo (assuming its not a forged logo)

justDIY said:
there is a signal ground (black wire), and shield (bare). a good cable should have both. a cheap cable has the red, green, white and bare, relying on the shield to also function as the signal ground.

all the colors (black, red, white, green) will be the same in any cable bearing the USB logo (assuming its not a forged logo)

ok than where am i supposed to solder the "sheild" wire on the circuit board?

There are 4 pins (one for each of the wires) and 2 other soldered spots for the metal housing of the usb "receiver" (i can post pictures if needed)

this is just a hunch but am i supposed to solder the "sheild" wire to the same points as the metal housing?

I'm not sure what version of google you're using, but my version, the very first result, comes back with this page:

https://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

which contains all sorts of data, including the male/female connectors and what color corresponds to what pin.

the shield wire is intended to be connected to the shielded portion of the connector (the metal shroud around the contacts)

I don't think the USB spec accepts soldering usb wires directly to a circuit board, some type of wire to board connector must be used. In the case of a one-off project, it shouldn't make much difference. just solder the shield wire to the same place you solder the black wire.

justDIY said:
I don't think the USB spec accepts soldering usb wires directly to a circuit board, some type of wire to board connector must be used.

y cant i just solder the wires directly to the board?
and if i cant than what other options do i have?
can i buy the connector (the square ones) both male and female from radio shack?

The USB specifications say a lot of things that people regularly ignore, and many of them only really matter if you want to get your device certified so you can stick a USB logo on it. for a hobbyist, it's not going to matter - adding an additional connector would not improve anything vs. a soldered connection, if anything it would be worse.

justDIY said:
I don't think the USB spec accepts soldering usb wires directly to a circuit board, some type of wire to board connector must be used. In the case of a one-off project, it shouldn't make much difference. just solder the shield wire to the same place you solder the black wire.

instead of quoting out of context, read the whole paragraph.

evandude said:
adding an additional connector would not improve anything vs. a soldered connection, if anything it would be worse.

what do u mean by this i think u re saying?

i think you are saying if i replace the connector that it would make things worse but would making a direct solder connection work?

and how would replacing the connector make it worse?

korn_16_f_t_l said:
y cant i just solder the wires directly to the board?
and if i cant than what other options do i have?

can i buy the connector (the square ones) both male and female from radio shack?

still looking fr answers to those particular questions as well

Last edited:
Why is this so complicated? a soldered connection is going to be better than using a connector. It's pretty simple, and I don't even see why you would have to ask if a soldered connection would work - of course it will, why wouldn't it?? It's nothing but a simple electrical connection of 4 wires.

I don't intend to sound mean, but seriously, you've already received answers, and it seems like you aren't even reading them!

korn_16_f_t_l said:
What kind of question is that? Is there any reason that we should try to find out for you what you can or cannot buy at your local rat shack? If you want to know if they sell USB connectors, ASK THEM!

I'm almost afraid to ask what your project actually is...

What kind of question is that? Is there any reason that we should try to find out for you what you can or cannot buy at your local rat shack? If you want to know if they sell USB connectors, ASK THEM!
no radio shack around this town for 1 i live in the middle of no where
for 2 could not find such a connector on there site
for 3
Why is this so complicated? a soldered connection is going to be better than using a connector. It's pretty simple, and I don't even see why you would have to ask if a soldered connection would work - of course it will, why wouldn't it?? It's nothing but a simple electrical connection of 4 wires.

Originally Posted by justDIY

according to that or from what i am getting out of that im not supposed to solder a direct connection to the board or at least a MANUFACTURER that wants to keep the USB stamp of approval isent supposed to or somthing to that effect i was simply trying to clarify is all

I'm almost afraid to ask what your project actually is...

a USB hard drive of mine got dropped off my desk and stopped being detected by my computer i took it apart and seen one of the pins from the actual connector on the board was broken was just going to simply solder the wires to where thay go no need to have a cocky reply or comment like that i am just trying to make shure i am understanding everything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back