Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB vs COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloody-orc

Could anyone tell me what does USB port send out?
I know COM communicates with RX and TX but what does USB use
and what chip do i need(if i need) to make RX & TX out of USB signal

compared to a serial port, USB is incredibly complex. the hardware and software required to implement it on either end (computer or device) is orders of magnitude more complex than regular serial; that's why companies sell USB developer's kits and such, with chips and pre-made software that handle most of the dirty work.

the only way you are going to get simple TX and RX lines with USB is to use a USB to serial converter, at which point you are literally just using a COM port anyway.

you could get one of those USB dev kits that has a handful of digital outputs, and use that for some sort of communication, but you would still have to deal with software on the computer side and it would probably be far more work than it was worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back