Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to TTL (Rx, Tx of a microcontroller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

Hey.

I was offered to use this **broken link removed**in order to have the PC interfacing a microcontroller which I use (LM3S6432 microcontroller based on the ARM Cortex-M3 controller core), through the Rx, Tx pins of the microcontroller.

Can this cable do the job?
The thing is that the microcontroller is 3.3V operated.

Claimed Features:

* Three dupond connectors, 2.54mm pitch type. Rx, Tx and GND. Powered by the USB host. LV-TTL I/O voltage level.

* Supports baud rate from 75 to 128000

Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks like it will work fine. The LV is low voltage (3.3v compatible based on google searches). Might want to put a scope on it. You will need to write some code to unless you compiler has a library with serial I/O support.

Hey, thanks mate.

You mean that this PL2303H chip inside the cable needs to be programmed by physically interfacing it, or can it be done through the USB port of the PC?

Do you know please where can the library with the serial I/O support be downloaded from?

Currently my compiler uses a libarary called hal_uart for UART communication.
Is this the library you were talking about?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You're buying a USB to serial cable. If you use Windows it should map it OK (USB side). Worst case you can fine a driver on the internet. So the PC/USB to serial/uC should work fine. The LV means you have low voltage TTL out. You might have to invert the bits.

The microcontroller you use will need to handle the serial data coming in. What compiler are you going to use for the ARM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back