Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB-to-Serial Converter will not work with Visual Basic 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMl

Most Helpful Member
I have a problem with a FTDI USB-to-Serial converter. It registers itself as Com4 under WindozXT, I can talk to it with HyperTerm, but the MSCOMM widget in Visual Basic 6 cannot find it. Anybody have a fix for this?

I've used a bunch of different USB adapters with VB6. Never had a problem.

Be sure the com port number is correct. If you plug the USB adapter into a different USB port, the com port assigned usually changes.

You might also try my Signal Generator program. It talks to a PIC via a com port and was written in VB6. It won't operate of course w/o the hardware, but you can see if it recognizes the adapter. I haven't used it with the FTDI chips but it works great with Prolific and others I've tried.

TAP-28 Simple Signal Generator

Make sure that you are using the latest drivers. Usually the FTDI drivers and chipset is very solid. Im also using a FTDI based without problems

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back