Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usb to serial cable question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electro_4

Hi guys

Bit of a newbie question. I have a atmega 16 micro and using a dontronics avr jtag l dongle. Trouble im having is getting studio 4 to recognise it. I believe it is the cable as i have tested the hardware on another computer and it works.
I bought a "of the shelf" usb to serial cable but avr studio 4 will not pick it up.
I was wondering do i need a specialty cable.

Would you point me in the right direction or if there is related posts

Cheers

Are you saying that the usb-to-serial is not working or that the JTAG-AVR-L is not working?

Go to the "device manager" and see if Windows recognizes the usb-to-serial cable properly.

Make sure you have powered up your microcontroller. The JTAG-AVR-L doesn't get its operating voltage from usb.

HI

The hardware works arv jtag, micro board is getting power and my computer is picking up the usb serial cable, in device manager. But when i go to select the corresponding com porti get the sad face error.

cheers

What is a "sad face error"? Does it come with an error message? What is your operating system?

Sounds like you are running Avr Studio on a Mac with a virtual machine running some kind of windows. If that is the case, I think the problem is in the virtual machine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back