Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

usb to serial adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostman11

hi, i was wondering when using a usb to serial cable with a pic do you need a max232 level shifter??
ive only used "real" serial ports before :D

If you are talking to a USB to serial chip like an FTDI, then you can use logic levels. If you are using one of those cables that you buy with USB to DB9, then you should use a level shifter.

There also are cables that do USB to 5V TTL and USB to 3.3V TTL.
I hacked my usb to rs232 cable and stripped out the ttl to rs232 chip so that I don´t need to use a max232 in every project.

yeah its a all in onw cheapo cable so i will assume that i need a level shifter. thanks for the info i wasnt sure. i have some FTDI chips as well and one i will get round to working out how to use it lol. my main pc has a dual serial card i fitted but i needed a cable one for my laptop

Might be a bit late to reply, but yes, you will if it is a USB->"serial" or USB->RS232 you will require a MAX232 or equiv.

thanks guy's the adapter eventualy arrived and i managed to get it working, i cant get over how cheap theese cables are!! just over £1 realy good value and simple solution

You can get a cable for a raspberry pi, which I think is usb to 5v rs232, or should I say rs423, usb conn on one end and single way molx's on the other.
Around £5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back