Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usb to RS232 Dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

northfarmer

Hi

i try to work with oopic R+ kit on me Dell laptop.
i buy a USB to RS232 dongle. I install the drivre that i get with the dongle and i can see the serial port in me device manager laptop.

i start up the oopic programmer and it find the serial port also But whan i try to read or write to the kit i get a message the the progrem catnt find any oopic device

whan i try to use PC it work properly

what i need todo so i can use me laptop ????:mad:

thank's

Northfarmer

I've had this conversation a number of times on another forum and it seems the USB -> Serial converters can be very hit or miss.

I use one for my Picstart Plus and it works fine but using it on my own projects through Visual Basic gives me frequent BSDs

The most compatible ones seem to be the ones with Prolific chipsets if that helps.

picbits said:
I've had this conversation a number of times on another forum and it seems the USB -> Serial converters can be very hit or miss.

I use one for my Picstart Plus and it works fine but using it on my own projects through Visual Basic gives me frequent BSDs

Not very relevent though, the PICStart Plus is a 'real' serial port programmer, with the programing done by a processor on-board - the serial link merely transfers standard RS232 data, so a converter works fine.

Presumably the oopic programmer is a JDM type, and uses the port in a completely non-standard way, manually toggling the handshake lines?. This doesn't pass through a converter with any degree of success, and certainly gives no resemblance to the original timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back