Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to RS232 Converter Linux programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehdev_cc

Hi everybody..
I've just started learning linux hardware interfacing, and I'm designing a circuit that should use rs232 to communicate with the PC ..
The problem is that neither my PC nor the laptop has rs232 port.. so I thought about using an adapter...
I'm not sure if it's a good idea.. as I don't know whether it'll appear to linux as a usb device or as a usb one.. :confused:
if it's a usb device, may - I think - I should try to find some other solutions.. as I know that programming usb drivers is kinda difficult..
so, what should I do ? any advice is much appreciated ..
thanks in advance..

Look on the net for a USB to serial with a driver that runs on Linux. Bound to be one. Search some Linux forums.

Hi everybody..
I've just started learning linux hardware interfacing, and I'm designing a circuit that should use rs232 to communicate with the PC ..
The problem is that neither my PC nor the laptop has rs232 port.. so I thought about using an adapter...
I'm not sure if it's a good idea.. as I don't know whether it'll appear to linux as a usb device or as a usb one.. :confused:
if it's a usb device, may - I think - I should try to find some other solutions.. as I know that programming usb drivers is kinda difficult..
so, what should I do ? any advice is much appreciated ..
thanks in advance..

Not sure about linux, but on Window systems the common USB serial convertors are supplied with driver software that emulates a standard comm port. Any application that can talk to a comm port is able to talk to a USB serial comm port just by selecting it's COMx number.

Now that I think about it the popular Arduino microcontroller uses a on board USB serial convertor chip and the Arduino IDE is avalible in a Linux version, so the concept must be the same. The driver software makes it transparent where the serial data is coming from, serial port(s) or USB serial ports.

Lefty

Thank you for the replies ...
I found a very good link about how to make it work under linux without writing a new device driver .. a one already exists ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back