Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to RS232 Cable issue ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr CCE

Hi all,

Lately I bought a USB-RS232 cable ( female ) but neither my desktop nor my laptop recognizes it, I'm wondering what the problem might be especially after I tried several drivers that I downloaded from almost everywhere.

Maybe I should just buy a better one? Perhaps one that comes with it's own driver CD?

If there's another side of the problem that I'm completely ignorant of please help me out! ;)

thx in advance.

best regards.

Last edited:
Which OS you run is critical. Versions prior to XP can have "interesting" USB issues. That it came without a driver suggests a minimum OS. <<<)))

Usb-rs232

Hi there, and thx for the quick reply!

well I'm working on Win Xp SP2 and the fact that none of the drivers I installed worked kinda ensures me that the cable is rubbish!

what are your suggestions?

thx in advance.

regards

As to suggestions I would suggest you give this a read. My experience with most of these converters is they are a crap shoot and most don't work.

After reading the link I would suggest investing in a RS232 PCI (or PCI-E) slot card and install it. I use one made by SIG but there are countless ones out there to be had. Here are some examples of what I am talking about.

Ron

I have used many of the cheap usb/serial cables without problems and have found the bigest problems come from the wrong drivers and not the cables, as every one tends to blame. (operator error not hardware problem)

The first problem starts with windows trying to load a driver with the wizard........close the wizard first, before installing the 3rd party driver.

Once a wrong driver is installed it will prevent the correct driver being installed, you will need to delete the wrong driver from the driver software you installed it with.

If you can post a photo of the cable i might be able to help.

If its has green plugs with silver cable then it is made by Ritmo, and the driver is on their web site but hard to find, often these cables are sold with no name and no driver.

If this sounds like your cable then i can give you the correct driver.

Pete.

Funnily enough, I've just bought three USB/RS232 converters - I ordered two off Amazon (but they didn't arrive very fast - I ordered two because the postage was more than the converters), so I bought one from a local Computer shop (at a LOT more money - but I needed a serial port quickly for a project I'm doing).

All of them came with CDROM's, and as is common you install the software from the CDROM before you connect the cable. Both types used the Prolific chips, so the same drivers - and both installed flawlessly under both XP and Vista (XP at work, Vista at home).

It seems a bit dubious if you didn't get a CDROM with the USB/RS232 converter? - my cheap ones (£0.74 each) even came with 9 to 25 pin adaptors as well as a CDROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back