Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to parrallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

markland556

Well i bough two of these off ebay hoping to have a usb parallel port. So i can plug it in and another port would show up. ex. LTP2

Instead all i get is a USB device showing up as USB printing support.
Is there a way to get it to show up as a normal parallel port?
Here is what the end of the thing looks like:
**broken link removed**

My ultimate goal is to hook up my PIC programmer (P16PRO40) to make it work with your sofware Nigel. But that just doesnt seem to work because it wont show up as a COM port.
I have 2 other serial ports that are the same as this think and i have the same problem.

markland556 said:
My ultimate goal is to hook up my PIC programmer (P16PRO40) to make it work with your sofware Nigel. But that just doesnt seem to work because it wont show up as a COM port.
I have 2 other serial ports that are the same as this think and i have the same problem.

It won't work, you require direct (and full speed) access to the port, USB converters are really slow - USB is designed for continuous data flow, and not for individual bytes, the extra overheads with USB really slows them down for small amounts of data.

hmm.. thats pretty gay... now what the hell am i gunna doo....

what about serial ports?? same thing with them??
if they work how can i make a nice little serial to parallel adapter, becasue i also have a nice character LCD hooked up to my computer

markland556 said:
hmm.. thats pretty gay... now what the hell am i gunna doo....

what about serial ports?? same thing with them??
if they work how can i make a nice little serial to parallel adapter, becasue i also have a nice character LCD hooked up to my computer

If you've got serial ports, then build a serial port programmer - but if you have a parallel port why not use that?, move the LCD to a serial port (and use a PIC to drive it).

I can do that once i learn about them. Right now im still clueless. But it would be nice to have the programer on a usb cable that way it easily sits on my desk.

Last edited:
markland556 said:
I can do that once i learn about them. Right now im still clueless. But it would be nice to have the programer on a usb cable that way it easily sits on my desk.

Try looking at the ICD2 clones?, either serial or USB (and you can always use a USB/Serial adaptor on the serial ones). The reason adaptors work on those is because it's a 'real' serial port programmer, the cheap ones (like the JDM) don't actually use the serial port at all!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back