Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to Digital I/O converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimB

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced USB to digital I/O converter?

I am looking for something which will provide 16 digital inputs and 16 digital outputs, 5v TTL, open collector, or whatever, opto isolation is not required.

I need to install some digital I/O onto a couple of laptop computers which have only USB available at the moment.

A USB to parallel (ie printer) port just will not cut it for the application I have in mind.

I have done a bit of Googling, and found a few which may fit the bill, but I was hoping that someone here may have experience of a suitable unit.
By reasonably priced, I mean less than £200. This is for a work application, not hobby.

JimB

Jim,

I've used the ones from USBmicro, and I think they may fit the bill. The 421 is $38.

Edit: forgot to add the link: **broken link removed**

Thank you Analog.

They look as though they would do the job.
I would prefer a boxed version with screw terminals (because of the application) rather than a bare board), and directly available in the UK.

However, at $38 that gives me a bit of money to integrate them as I require.

Any other ideas anybody?

JimB

Hi,

Not true USB, but you could just buy a cheap USB<->serial adapter cable (10 quid ebay?) and use a cheap (<£2) microcontroller, possibly with shift registers for I/O expansion. The only issues really would be with the PC software (it would appear as a 'comm' NOT USB) and the limited datarate..which I believe it 1.5MB/s at the serial end (150kbytes/sec). For reading 2 bytes, and outputting 2 bytes....guess that 37.5k updates per second.

Failing that....I have seen serial -> I/O units....so you could just use them together. I'm certain some googling would yeild some 'kits', or even premade ones. 16 inputs and 16 outputs, is a reasonable size.

Probably not what you are looking for, but I DIY almost everything, and its worth a thought.

links you probably already have:
https://www.microdaq.com/measurement_computing/digital_io/index.php
https://elmicro.com/de/iowarrior.html

My two pennies

Blueteeth

Hi Jimb

maplin's do a range of USB interfaces...try their web site...www.maplins.co.uk.

I believe Velleman do a range aswell.....but think they are based in the USA...You can get some of there products from Maplins.

Hope this helps

regards
Kris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back