Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Sound Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngorrow

**broken link removed**
I'm looking for a circuit diagram for something like this ^
I'd like to add another sound input into my computer, but Target's price of $39.99 is a little ridiculous.
Can something like that be accomplished without purchasing a USB chip? I have a feeling it is not going to be as simple as soldering an audio plug/jack to a usb cable...

Could I accomplish adding another line-level input into my computer another way? Maybe from a 9-pin d-sub connector? It needs to be a separate input so I can use ASIO4ALL to send it to another program I am using.

You also need way more than a USB chip to do something like that (like an ADC to sample the audio signals and processor to control the ADC and run the USB). There are very few cases in electronic products where you can save money by building it yourself.

D-SUB is too slow to transmit audio and would still requires an ADC and audio signal.

Just buy it dude.

Last edited:
I made this:
COMPUTER AUDIO SWITCH - Headset Headphone Speaker Switch
For cheaper than their selling price, though I used my 30% employee discount.

It's just a switch, it's not an electronics product.

Anyone happen to know if there is a way to get sound from both the mic and the line-level inputs of your soundcard at the same time?

Just set them to the levels you want and record them, the inputs are a mixer, and Windows provides the mixer control software. You can't record them separately, also because they are a mixer.

If you want USB sound input, just buy one - they are VERY reasonably priced, and there's no way you could build one as they use custom designed chips (which is what makes them cheap).

However, I didn't like the one you posted the picture of, the usual ones are a small box with stereo line in and out, SPDIF out, and a headphone output socket as well.

Try this one, only £22.00

I bought my daughter a similar one, and she's used it with her laptop for recording an acoustic gig she was engineering for.

johngorrow, listen to the voices coming from all around you =)

Don't even think about trying to build something like this, just buy one, the costs are so low it's not even worth the thought to attempt it on your own, especially if the last device you made was an audio switch box.

You could try this site to get a basic understanding of USB audio protocols and formats. If you wanted to read all 172 pages of it.
USB.org - Approved Device Class Document Download

That doesn't even touch on the hardware aspects of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back