Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

usb/screen project

Status
Not open for further replies.

prongs_386

Hi, I am new to the electronics world but I am an accomplished programmer.

My project involves using a small screen, what type will depend on cost. I want to construct a device in which I have my processor, screen and the device to be plugged into PC via USB. I would just need basic signals sent through the USB, but I need the processor to handle these and display the screen as well as sending messages back via a few buttons.

I know I have a lot of ground to cover but I would appreciate some help in finding the right processor/architecture to accomplish all this.

Thanks in advance

There are microcomputers that speak USB but they are a little over my head. I use an IC from FTDI that converts USB to RS232. It comes with drives for the PC side. On the micro side, any small computer can talk serial. Here is a link to an application note.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/01/DG232_20.pdf

Here is another option. This board will get you started very fast. 5-volt power supply, oscillator, reset circuit, buttens, potentiometers, LEDs, LCD module, RS232 interface, USB interface and speaker
https://melabs.com/products/labxusb.htm

On the LCD side; There are character based LCDs that take ASCII and display characters. (20x4) or (16x2 rows) Then there are graphic displays. The difference is like DOS verses windows. Cost and complexity.

thanks for all the help, those links helped...

I'm now thinking more about the mobile phone/ tft style screen and what processors work well with those? The character based screens probably won't quite do it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back