Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usb <-> Rs485

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh one other thing to ask:

Would it be possible to make a ICD2 for USB using a 18F4550 ( or similar pic with USB)?

SOICs are not that bad, but take SSOP or TSSOP or even the fine-pitch QFP (0.5mm) - but I did that as well (TSSOP) - just use a lot of flux and not too much solder and it will be ok.

USB host controller and PIC - there is very new MCU from Microchip supporting USB 2.0 OTG (quite late, Atmel has such MCU for a long time).

Try look at PIC24FJ64GB106 to PIC24FJ256GB110 family.

Last edited:
looks like you MIGHT be able to drive a printer with that one. (today's printers are notorious for offloading processing onto the host driver software) I do not, however, see mass storage support: only a comment about minimal host funtionality.

Would it be possible to make a ICD2 for USB using a 18F4550 ( or similar pic with USB)?

I tried .. I recompiled the bootloader for 18F4550 (actually, in MLAB just changed device to 18F4550 and click on build), I then programmed the bootloader to easyPic4 board, connected it to the eth, started pickit2 app, it said I need firmware, it downloaded firmware from the net and uploaded it to the easypic4 18f4550 .. I tried using few options and it "works" .. the rs232 works, the "logic probe" works (I just had to short few pins on port A I think (not sure) .. but, basically, I just recompiled bootloader, and the firmware for 18F2550 worked .. I do not know how compatible those 2 are, and if debugging would actually work, but "initial trial" went nice :)

Yeh one other thing to ask:

You can but you also need the 16F877 part. See my Unicorn and Inchworm+ combo. That's how it's done. You can build the PICkit2 with just a 18F4550, much better for most things than the ICD2 anyway (unless you're into dsPICs)

The PICkit2 to RS232 stuff can be found here
**broken link removed**

So you cant eliminate the 16fXXX for ICD2. I mean arent the 18F4550 bigenought to handel both the ICD2 task as well as doing programming? Or will you simply use the 18F4550 as a USB <-> RS232 adaptor?

So you cant eliminate the 16fXXX for ICD2. I mean arent the 18F4550 bigenought to handel both the ICD2 task as well as doing programming? Or will you simply use the 18F4550 as a USB <-> RS232 adaptor?

Nope you need both, it's an older design and the 18F4550 was brought in to replace the Cypress USB IC that was discontinued.

What's wrong with the PICkit2 ? for the PICs it supports and that's plenty it's as fast as the ICD2, programs, debugs, logic analyzer, UART tool...

Ahh ok so its not just a case of changing the RS232 for the PIC18F4550 and using those four lines to communicate..

Well Im still going to make that USB<->RS485 adaptor so thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back