Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usb <-> Rs485

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but I would take PIC18F2455 and MAX485, add crystal, connectors, a few capacitors and there you have an adapter. All that it will need is a firmware for the microcontroller ...

You can have a look at the Unicorn kit from blueroomelectronics :)

Last edited:
if you use the SMD versions of the chips it won't be big. I don't see a problem running that on USB power.

Hi Bill,

I don't know how I end up advertising your kits again ... :D

I was thinking about the FTDI chip as well but personally I prefer the PIC.
Both solutions have their advantages and disadvantages of course.

Petr

I used to use FTDI chips all the time .. and recently I decided to stop. I stopped when I found out that locally I can get FTDI chip for 8E and PIC18F4550 for under 7E .. so that simple truth removed FTDI chips from my order list. There is nothing FTDI can do that 18f4550 cannot (except, ok, ftdi is much smaller and use less power)

FT232R
Pros no firmware or crystal needed, low power.

PIC18F2550 / 4550
Pros DIP package (if you don't want to solder a SOIC), and you get a nice microcontroller thrown in. I did find a FT232 emulator (firmware) on Xiaofan Chen's site.
Xiaofan's Blog: USB

I'd like to add that even if you do want to use SMD parts SOIC package (PIC18F2455/2550) is much easier to solder than FTDI chip in SSOP package, QFN is even more manual soldering unfriendly (I assume you don't have your own reflow owen ...)

@blueroomelectronics
I agree with pro's and con's but, how often do you make usb device without uC .. 90% of devices I made used FTDI in cooperation with uC on board. I usually do not pay attention on the cost, but when I noted that instead FTDI I can put 18f4550 I just stopped..

I'd like to add that even if you do want to use SMD parts SOIC package (PIC18F2455/2550) is much easier to solder than FTDI chip in SSOP package, QFN is even more manual soldering unfriendly (I assume you don't have your own reflow owen ...)

I never tried to manually solder FTDI :) what I do is I put solder on pcb, glue the FTDI on top of that (using flux as a glue, as it is sticky while hot) and then I put it in normal house oven for few minutes... never failed :)

I'm not a fan of soldering SOIC and such myself, the best solution I've found is the Schmartboard system. Soldered a TQFP with it just fine.

I used to use FTDI chips all the time .. and recently I decided to stop. I stopped when I found out that locally I can get FTDI chip for 8E and PIC18F4550 for under 7E .. so that simple truth removed FTDI chips from my order list. There is nothing FTDI can do that 18f4550 cannot (except, ok, ftdi is much smaller and use less power)
Try writing to a thumb drive with a 4550...

I'm not a fan of soldering SOIC and such myself, the best solution I've found is the Schmartboard system. Soldered a TQFP with it just fine.
What size? I did a 100 pin 0.5mm pitch by hand...not fun. Worse still was modding a board by lifting and soldering to two adjacent pins on that thing!

Bill where on Xiaofans site did you see the emulator.

Im really going to make it for a buddy, cous the factosy made stuff are really expensive (beeing a student and all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back