Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB port programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes whith an USB to COM converter.

But some that are powerd from the port may not work since converters dont suply much power.

4electros said:
I want to ask wherther i can get my programmer connected to PC through USB instead of serial port, may be with junction or anything else.

You really need a specific USB programmer, which will have a processor on board (which actually does the programming). Using a so called 'serial port' programmer with a USB/RS232 converter may or may not work, such programmers use the handshake lines (not the actual port itself), and latency in the USB to RS232 conversion may cause problems - this is assuming the software will actually work through a converter!.

If you have a proper 'serial port' programmer (with a processor) then a USB/RS232 converter will work fine, and many 'USB' programmers work in this way, being serial port programmers with FT232 converter chips on board.

4electros said:
actually i want to build my programmer for AVR microcontroller so at this case can i use that usb converter and get it work properly?!

The same constraints apply - I suggest you try searching for "USB AVR programmer" and see what you can find.

Here is ICD2 clone USB FT232RL based, uses virtual serial port, not as fast as real USB ICD2, but faster that serial, no power supply. Single sided board.

Attachments

• icd2-rl_001_204.jpg
    icd2-rl_001_204.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,103
  • icd2-rl_001_715.jpg
    icd2-rl_001_715.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,107
4electros said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
The same constraints apply - I suggest you try searching for "USB AVR programmer" and see what you can find.

I've searched for it and got this link:

**broken link removed**

but could you tell me about FT232 ?!

It's a USB/RS232 converter chip, commonly used to give a simple USB connection - I presume you are aware that the link you posted requires a pre-programmed AVR to work? (as USB programmers are likely to).

Nigel Goodwin said:
I presume you are aware that the link you posted requires a pre-programmed AVR to work? (as USB programmers are likely to).

What do you mean exactly, wouldn't i be able to program it again as it's pre=programmed , oh anyway could you clarify more please?!

thank a lot!

4electros said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
I presume you are aware that the link you posted requires a pre-programmed AVR to work? (as USB programmers are likely to).

What do you mean exactly, wouldn't i be able to program it again as it's pre=programmed , oh anyway could you clarify more please?!

The AVR shown on the link is part of the programmer (actually MOST of the programmer), the target AVR is on another board, and programmed while in-circuit.

So you need a programmer in order to build this programmer, a problem with USB programmers!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back