Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB PIC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cucamunga

Hi to everyone.
I'm looking for for a easy to build usb pic programmer. i'd been asking for this programmer for a long time, and i still can't decide witch one build...mainly because i can't find all the info to build it...
I believe that the most "popular" ones are the: GTP USB Plus (can't find the firmware for the 18F255), GTP USB Lite (i belive that only works with an old version of winpic800 and doesn't support the 18LF pics), Junebug (i only need a programmer/debugger and not a project board), PICkit 2 clone (can't find a good one, easy to build).
So, to some up, my options at the moment are :

- GTP USB Plus
- GTP USB Lite
- Junebug
- PICkit 2 Clone

can someone recommend me a good usb pic programmer?... one that i can build (because i love to make my own things) and i can find all what i need to build it.

thank a lot for all the info.

PD: i only have 18F and 18LF PICs.

Last edited:
If you are going to avoid using a USB interface chip you must use a USB enabled 18F. The majority of 18F chips won't work. The PICkit 2 and Junebug use the 18F2550. I have build programmers for myself and two friends using the schematic for the programmer portion of the Junebug. The circuits were built on stripboard and the total parts cost was about $10. The major cost being the 18F2550, which is available for less than $5 from Newark. The only drawback to this approach is that you need a programmer to get the firmware into the 18F2550, since I already had a PICkit 2 this was no problem. Now I keep my PICkit 2 as a spare and use my clone.

You can build the Junebug from scratch or order a Kit.

It is a PICkit2 clone with a 18F1320 target board including switches, LEDs, IR, and a pair of pots for ADC tinkering.

I agree, as a beginner with Pics this is a wonderful tool, one of my best purchases !!!

:)

mmm i believe that i'm going to make a clone for the pickit2...
what can all you guys can tell me about this one:

**broken link removed**

The MOSFET IRC 9Z34 on PicKit2 clone rev2.1 is difficult to find in my area. I replaced that mosfet with similar one, IRF 9540 - but it's doesn't work.
PICkit2 programmer software successfully connect to PicKit2 clone, but report error when programming pic.
**broken link removed**

its better to buy programmer or can be built easily and economically.if latter give me its circutry. i m waiting for response

Last edited:
The Microchip ICD3 is expensive, but it's vastly superior.
First off, if you get a programmer without ICD, you don't know what you're missing. ICD is incredibly helpful!

The ICD3 is so much faster than ICD2 and its clones, and supports ALL the PICs, including all the 33Fs.

Unfortunately, there's no generic clones of the ICD3 AFAIK. That's not due to copyright or anything, the ICD3 used a powerful FPGA to do what it does and it's not cheap to replicate.

BUY a real PICkit 2 built by Microchip.

It's convenient. All the parts come in a nice plastic package so you won't have a hard time finding anything, and the PIC18F2550 is already programmed so you won't have to find a programmer to make your programmer work. All the parts are nicely soldered on the board for you too.

You can get right down to programming chips and developing code.

Many people have thought is would be great to built a simple, little programmer (if you say "simple" and "little" it has to be easy - just ask my boss) and they turn out to be a giant dung heap. There are some recent threads about trying to build such programmers....after 5 pages of forum posts, one of them still doesn't work.

The PICkit 2 is an incredible value at a great price. There must be some reason I have 2 and the expensive USB programmer is on the shelf gathering dust someplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back