Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB microcontroller programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris W

due to the severe lack of serial ports in modern computers and laptops, i was wondering if anyone knows of a good (ie. cheep) USB programmer. or possibly enough of a kick in the pants to get me moving in the right direction to build my own.

i do have an old laptop (go p1) that i am forced to use to program my atmels and PICs. but need to make use of some modern technology before the old thing kicks the bucket.

any and all help appreciated.

thanks,
-Chris

thanks guys,
i've searched out the usbtinyisb the best i can. the filters here at work don't like the 'lady' part of the ladyada link :p

i have the schematic & the parts (i have a lot of spare parts lying around the hobby room/lab) needed may just have to buy a pre-programmed chip as the code looks like it is the propery of the designer.

i was looking to keep within budget for once with a project. (budget only allow for 20$ or so for fun money. Debt sucks)

thanks again,
-Chris

Chris W said:
thanks guys,
i've searched out the usbtinyisb the best i can. the filters here at work don't like the 'lady' part of the ladyada link :p

That is totally ridiculous!

Chris W said:
i have the schematic & the parts (i have a lot of spare parts lying around the hobby room/lab) needed may just have to buy a pre-programmed chip as the code looks like it is the propery of the designer.

In any event it's open source. Just grab the firmware distro from ladyada's download page for the project, type make and grab the hex file from the spi directory. Also, you'll want to use these fuse bytes:

extended byte: FF
low fuse byte: EF
high fuse byte: DB

Edit: Just wanted to add that this is a great project for understanding how to make your own low-speed USB AVR application without a dedicated USB-interface chip.

Last edited:
pc88 said:
That is totally ridiculous!

But unfortunately all too common!.

Like the local planning office for the area I work in, it won't accept the word 'erection' - so if you're applying for the 'erection of a new building' you're pretty well stuffed! :p

very important!!

i have downloaded this programmer schematic PICPgm USB Programmer. i cant find the 16f84 pic on the support list. and the book that i am learning pic form has 16f84 used in it. is there a better pic ic than this and what about the dsPIC30F family will the made kit support it or not?

The PICkit2 programmers and clones are supported by microchip. You can download the schematic for the PICkit2 from microchips website or you can build a clone from the schematic at BlueroomElectronics.com

These programs are supported by microchip and work with MPLAB. They allow for debugging. They can be used as a 3 channel logic analyzer etc etc.

But you do need to program the 18F2550 which is difficult to do without a working programmer.

Fill in you location!

Last edited:
is the software for the pickit2 free i mean mplab or what ever is used.i do have kiel so will kiel work also??

Winpic800 is software. PICkit2 and junebug are programmers. MPLAB looks better than winpic800.

i found this schematic from the website of winpic800 it is said that it can program neary all pics and some avrs. will it work and what about the code for the 18f2550 which i assume will be main piece of programming firmware.i can get it programmed if i find the code.also is a junebug clone better than a clone of this programmer??

Attachments

• GTP-USB[plus].pdf
    219.6 KB · Views: 279
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back