Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vss_vintorez

Is it possible to create an usb device which installs a driver(=program in drivermode) when you connect it to the pc and at the same time tell the OS that you connected an "Unknown device" ??

The device should say the SO that it is something unknown because:
- There are same antivirus which blocks the usb storage devices.

And is it possible to tell the SO that the drivers of this "uknown device" are inside of the actual device, and there, load a program in driver mode ??

I think you might be looking at this backwards.

When you plug in a USB device, known or not, it's the OS that installs any drivers, not the USB device itself. (At least so far as I know. In theory, it might be possible to have a USB device load a driver over the connection, but it's not done in practice to my knowledge. If you think about it, this would be an even better vector for transmitting viruses than the Internet!)

So the typical behavior is what you ask in the last question, where the drivers are outside the device and are loaded by the OS.

I think ...

Last edited:
Well that's my main question, can you mount an onboard driver into the device itself ? (if you create it)

And yeah I think that you can make the USB install it's own driver, the problem with viruses is not a problem,

Consider this:
you write the driver in a ROM memory (read only memory) this would not be updatable and not writteable, so it's useless (at least for companies which creates hardware)

But I want yo create my own device XD and I don't have intentions to update :p.

Last edited:
You have to trust the system connected, this is the root of all security issues. There is absolutely positively no security system that does not rely on some trusted portion of it, with even the most perfect encryption methods it's actually down to the key as a trusted source of access.

I have never seen it done but it might be possible. If in the root of the USB device (and I don't know how or where as it is your device) you placed a .exe file to load drivers it might be possible.

When connecting a USB device Windows operating systems do look for an autorun.

Open Notepad

Type in:

Code:
[autorun]
    open=MyDriver.exe
    action=Run MyDriver Program
    icon=MyDriver.exe
    label=My Portable PC

Save the file as autorun.inf

Put the file in the root of your USB flash drive

The next time you insert your removable drive into your PC, the specified program will autorun from the USB drive

While obviously written to run an executable program from a flash drive which Windows obviously has drivers installed for I wonder if it would work with a device that had some storage form that held the file and the drivers file? I really don't know. The autorun code is the same as used on a CD or DVD to run a executable.

Might be an approach or might be a waste of time but nothing ventured, nothing grained. As I said, I don't know. Maybe make the device so Windows recognizes it as a mass storage? No clue but interesting thought and again, I have never seen it done which leaves me wondering if it is possible.

Ron

You have to trust the system connected, this is the root of all security issues. There is absolutely positively no security system that does not rely on some trusted portion of it, with even the most perfect encryption methods it's actually down to the key as a trusted source of access.
So you are saying that what I said is something common, and we have to trust the companies of hardware we buy ! For example an usb WiFi Card could have it's own drivers onboard and a virus !

Last edited:
Wow I did not know that case, I'm really scared of Sony now XD. I was interesting more in the protocol of usb, not in the security of the devices but you helped me a lot.
To be more precise:

can a USB device have it's own driver onboard ? (for example a coffee warmer that installs automatically it's own software/driver without asking the user [as the case of the sony with the security method]).

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You don't seem to understand that this is totally an OS question.

Is it in the realm of physical possibility that a USB device connected to a computer could do what you want it to do? Absolutely.

But do real-world OSes (like, oh, I don't know, Microsoft Windows) allow this? No, they don't.

You could always write your own OS ...

You don't seem to understand that this is totally an OS question.

Is it in the realm of physical possibility that a USB device connected to a computer could do what you want it to do? Absolutely.

But do real-world OSes (like, oh, I don't know, Microsoft Windows) allow this? No, they don't.

You could always write your own OS ...

It seems that you don't understand my question, of course i'm talkin about a real world OS, like windows.
And considering you answer I don't trust your opinion or knowledge =).

Of course they can, and often do - look at the many USB GSM modems, they commonly install their driver (and all the required software) over their USB connection.

But this is a programming/computer 'problem', not an electronics one.

I need your best idea to complete this...

Tasks:
+ Execute some code or program in a computer.

+ Don't be detected by USB Flashdrive Blockers.
+ OS: Windows and AutoRun disabled.
+ Don't ask the user anything.
+ There is no roof price.

Last edited:
So what you are looking to do is essentially work around the security of a Windows Operating System and to execute code sans the owners knowledge. Initially the object was to simply auto install a driver file. I seriously doubt you will find what you are looking for here, however, I am sure a Google will bring up a dozen hits of hacker forums where someone will be happy to help you.

Ron

vss, what you're asking can not be done. You need direct inside access to the machine to do something like that, there is no hack out there that can achieve it, if you find one, let me know and we'll take over the world and retire billionaires.

Well after reading everything, my idea was is:

You can create a device with multiple porpouses, such as some gaming mice or keyboards that function as multiple devices; (mice have keyboard functionallities but are detected as mice)

You could have a mouse with flashdrive functionalities, and execute the code from 1 click...
Search "Razer Blackwidow" that keyboard can open programs from a "Macro" -

You could open a program stored inside the device, the AV will not suspect because the OS recognize it as a keyboard/mouse (with flashdrive capabilities)

Last edited:
I have NOT had a good experiance with Razer hardware, I bought an MMO mouse that was so badly ergonomically designed that I had to return it, the replacement a more convention mouse developed optical glitches within 8 months. They're branders not hardware makers, the units they use are actually re branded micro controllers that can actually be re-coded, (I've booted mine in flash mode never bothered with looking up the specifics) with crap code a stylistic case and an dimming LED logo.... Pure crap.

NOTHING you have suggested allows any possibility of illicit code entry for illegal access or system monitoring without software already installed (the inside bit)

The one exclusion is a USB hub that listens and banks all HID traffic on the hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back