Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB instead of parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashthealien

I am a beginner in micro-controller programming.
I built a programmer that uses parallel port to program atmega16 micro controller and is working perfectly:):D but I have a laptop and it doesn't have any parallel ports. I want to use USB to program my micro-controller. HOw can it be implemented.:confused:

You can't build USB programmers. USB Is very difficult to work with for hobbiests (and even engineering companies). You'd have to buy one.

You might have some hope if you had a serial programmer, but parallel...probably not since it's so old.

Last edited:
Spend the money and get yourself an **broken link removed** programmer/debugger. You only have to buy it once (around $75) and then the pain is over. It's a great programmer and debugger. Does every programming/debugging mode that is available for AVRs. Well worth the $$.

There's a list of compatible chips there for the Dragon. It doesn't work on many of their older chips, which was a bit of an annoyance for me. But I have my old STK-500 for those...

Thank U

My laptop doesn't have even a serial port.:mad:
It has 4 USB ports and an express port thats all:(
and I m just a student cant afford $75:(

Last edited:
Some usb to rs232 do not use some of the comm lines required, but I hear that the more pricey ones do.

Hi guys im a student & practically a novice in micros...im thinking of buyin a usb to serial converter cable for programmin my atmega 16 using the serial programmer for ponyprog . Will it work ?if not any suggestions plz friends its urgent.. And im not thinking of buyin a usb programmer:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back