Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

usb flash memory and pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

x_sa07

hi

i am new to pic programming and having a problem with this project:
an mp3 player with no large storage memory that reads the mp3 songs from a usb flash memory(not SD) connected to it and output some text on lcd

the lcd part was completed
and now iam facing several problem on how to interface the pic to the usb flash memory.

can anybody help me to understand the interface and how to communicate whith the usb flash memory(for example reading or writing files)

any help or suggestion is appreciated

thanks in advance

You have a large problem, because suitable processors with USB interfaces (like the 18F series) are slave only, you require a USB host to read a USB Flash memory. It would be far easier to use an SD card instead, which can be easily read via SPI.

However, if you search these forums it has been mentioned a number of times before, and I believe that there is a USB host interface that you can buy?.

Use a Vinculum VNC1L USB reader... they even have a module with MP3 decoding built in.

The PIC can then provide the UI and control.

P.

thank u for ur time
ive read about the Vinculum VNC1L USB reader
but since iam in jordan there are no suppliers here

any alternatives?

Its a fairly complex project, an SD card is the only practical way to go. Lots of projects of this type can be found on the net. You'll also need an MP3 codec IC.

MP3 was not his main topic but im now too interested... It would be nice to use a flash drive since they go for like $5 to 10 and hold a nice amount of space.

and the SD cards are very pricey.

blueroomelectronics said:
And what does that have to do with the price of toast?

Do you want to buy an MP3 player? Do you have C programming skills? Why do you want to build an MP3 player?

sorry for not posting the reason of this

iam doing this mp3 player as a computer engineering graduation project

i know that sd card are less expensive than flash drive
but our projects is about micro controller + flash memory

blueroomelectronics said:
Here's a local vendor, seems pretty cheap to me.
https://factorydirect.ca/catalog/category_list.php?cat=8210

Nice eye but not eveyone who buys a sd card buys from online and most retail stores especially in NYC it cost anywhere from $15-20 for a 1gb card and for a 2gb card its like $40. I guess its somewhat cheap but online i can still get a 1gb flash drive for like $5 so i save like $5-$15 depending where i shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back