Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB data wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I posted this here as there isn't really a clear section for it.

So, I was wondering what is sent down the USB data wires?
I know that red and black are 0 and +5v, but I have green and white data wires also.

The reason for asking is I have a little servos build and is currently running off a remote control, however, I'd like to run it directly off USB but without a PIC as I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

Basically, can I get USB data wires to send square wave pulses from 1ms to 2ms and all timings in-between?

usb wires known as (+5V,D+,D-,GND) NEVER SHORT CIRCUIT THE WIRES! If u do the driver will destroyed instantly!

While this is a good read on USB data transfer protocol communicating with devices on the USB bus is not easily done. Not for what you are looking to do anyway. Without an additional hardware device the answer to your question:

Basically, can I get USB data wires to send square wave pulses from 1ms to 2ms and all timings in-between?

would be no you can't. You would need a hardware interface device between the PC and in this case your servo. That device would in turn require USB drivers and you would need to write code to communicate with the interface. This is much unlike using the old parallel port or even the RS232 serial port. The Universal Serial Bus requires much more.

Ron

D+ and D- are always inverted to each other (called a differential pair) to get the higher speeds so when D+>D- it is a set logic state, when D+<D- it is the opposite logic state. then you have your 5v and 0v signals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back