Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB communication between microcontroller & PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiteshDR

Hello all,

I want to use microcontroller programmer via USB port.
I have got USB to Serial dongle and I want working circuit and software for serial port programming.
Can anyone suggest me the link...?

I will thankful to you all repliers

HiteshDR said:
Hello all,

I want to use microcontroller programmer via USB port.
I have got USB to Serial dongle and I want working circuit and software for serial port programming.
Can anyone suggest me the link...?

I will thankful to you all repliers

No....
I am sorry I forgot to write that I am using AT89XXX series and obviously programmer also will be for same.
Hope so you'll reply me for same...?

thanks...

I wonder why embedded communities are so PIC-centric? OP says microcontroller and we hear PIC ;)

Anyway, are you looking to buy or make a programmer?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ATMEL+AVR+USB+programmer

Btw. I was going to look for some programmers on digikey.ca and there is only STK500 (serial) and Butterfly (serial and not really a pgm) and others are either out of stock or too expensive development systems. It explains why we hear PIC when microcontroller is spoken. Perhaps AVRman should release some decent and affordable tools instead of fighting Wasteman ;)

dipmicro said:
I wonder why embedded communities are so PIC-centric? OP says microcontroller and we hear PIC ;)

Because of their massive popularity?, but really it's pretty stupid asking for a programmer and not mentioning what it's for!.

thanks to all..

I would like to thank you all...

I have got the usb programmer but it is for AVR chip only...

Can 89SXX series support the USB programming?
If yes then how it is possible...

Right now I am trying to do it in following way.
I have bought one USB to Serial Dongle.
And I have a microcontroller circuit with serial port.
But I have not driver for that usb dongle.
Is this right way..???
Does anyone know about it...?
Please reply me...

Hello...

I have got usb Dongle driver from the following link:

**broken link removed**
But it does not show any virtual port address.

Without port address it’s impossible to use the port...

Can anyone tell how I can retrieve the virtual port address?

It's easy...

Hi,

If you are not getting the port itself in the software of the RS232 to usb converter then it might be the software problem that you downloaded...

Regards,

Simran..:)

Last edited:
there should be some drivers that you can install with the USB-serial thing. once its installed restart ur pc. when u plug it in to the usb device, it should automatically assign itself as a virtual com port.

go to control panel and device manager and it should be there under "com & lpt" or something.

if it is not, click on "universal serial bus controllers", and find which one is the device which u have inserted.

right click on it, click properties, then under one of the tabs it says "load vpn" or something . make sure that is ticked.

confirm all changes, then in device manager do "scan for new hardware".. if nothing comes up unplug the device and plug it in again, it should then work and have created a "com port & lpt" heading in device manager, which u can click on to see which virtual com port it has been assigned to.

if this doesnt work im not sure what it can be

hope it helps

cyprio7 said:
there should be some drivers that you can install with the USB-serial thing. once its installed restart ur pc. when u plug it in to the usb device, it should automatically assign itself as a virtual com port.

go to control panel and device manager and it should be there under "com & lpt" or something.

if it is not, click on "universal serial bus controllers", and find which one is the device which u have inserted.

right click on it, click properties, then under one of the tabs it says "load vpn" or something . make sure that is ticked.

confirm all changes, then in device manager do "scan for new hardware".. if nothing comes up unplug the device and plug it in again, it should then work and have created a "com port & lpt" heading in device manager, which u can click on to see which virtual com port it has been assigned to.

if this doesnt work im not sure what it can be

hope it helps

Thanks cyprio7,

Yes, I have got that virtual com port in device manager list.

It has detected as COM3. I can see its properties also.
But I am confused on a point, "as we know if we are using parallel port then we are defining address as 0x378, which is hex value of port address but here nothing is coming like that."

So is it necessary that kind of address??

If yes then can you please tell me how I can retrieve that address??

If not necessary then how we have to define the port in programming.

thank you again.

thanks to all..

Hello everybody...

Thanks to you all...

I have got the driver of that USB to Serial Dongle.
And it’s working properly also.
I have checked it by HyperTerminal.
Now I need to send this data to microcontroller and do the next process.

So, I need to do serial port programming.
how can i increase the speed of data transferring in this communication??

Can anyone suggest me any link so I can get help to do serial programming??
I want to implement it using C in RIDE/KEIL.

thank you so much to you all again...!!! :) :) :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back