Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB circuit which resistor/s needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richie25

Hi all,

I have a 5v fan rated at 0.36Amps. i have wired this into the usb port and it works great but it's very loud and i'm wanting to decrease the voltage so it's quieter. now i have done a little digging but i'm still not 100% sure what i need as i don't want to blow the usb port by demanding too much current as the port runs upto 500miliamps.

So any ideas which resistor i need to say lower the voltage to 3v? and perhaps 2v?

Thank you

keep it simple. Try a resistor between 5 and 12 ohms. Pwm is best but large circuit, and switching freq of pwm can induce its own noise

Thanks for your replies.

That's exactly what i needed, i think i'll start from 5ohms and work my way up. :D

I'm making it for my laptop. the inbuilt fan is constantly turning on and off and it's very annoying. so i thought i'd use the usb port via the motherboard pins and run it from there so the fan is constantly going and at a lower rate too.

Most Bios software allow fan speed modifications.... If your fan is switching on and off regularly... You need to sit the laptop on a firm surface ( laptop tray) as its overheating... I hardly hear the fan on mine.... But mine is always on the table... ( plenty of circulation ).

BTW... They are not called Laptops anymore ( for this reason ) They are now called notebooks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back