Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanders

Hello everyone, first of all I have to apologize because of my English, it's still my second language.

Because i have to travel a lot i could use a USB charger, to charge my mp4 player. Because USB output voltage is 5V, i had an idea to use 7805A semiconductor.

I would use 9V battery as a voltage source and 7805A circuit as a voltage converter, Do you think i need heat sink ?

And also what do you think about this project ?

Depending on your level of experience, a buck switching regulator is a better choice. A good switcher is >90% efficient, and will work even as the battery discharges to just above 5V. A SEPIC switcher will deliver 5V even as the battery sags below 5V.

The linear 7805 regulator will quit working when the battery reaches the drop-out voltage of about 6.6V. With a fresh battery, 40% of the battery power is being dissipated as heat.

Last edited:
How much current are you drawing from the the 5V?

MikeMl: could you give me any part numbers ?

Sceadwian: USB current is 100mW-500mW, i have to take measurements.

By strict USB specs you can't guarantee to get this on every machine. USB is only 'required' to give 100ma's per port in hardware. Technically the USB device needs to request for more power beyond that.

It would be smarter just to use 4 AA, C or D cells. The charger will probably work fine on 6V. If not, put a diode in series.

It MAY work fine on 6 volts. USB chargers tend to feed single lipoly cells. If a charger uses a linear regulator from the incoming to the charge circuit you could overheat the regulator. Many modern devices uses SMPS IC's though, and bucking 5 vs 6 volts shouldn't hurt.

I bookmarked that little gem =)

It's too hard to get parts from Recom. THey aren't available anywhere.

V-infinity has similar parts in their unisolated DC-DC converters which are available at Digikey.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back