Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Charger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanHam

Well I have a candy tin and wanted to put a 9v (battery) input and a 12v (car) input. And have it go out to a female USB port. I need one of these **broken link removed** So it will regulate the voltage to 5v. It is rated for 5v to 18v so I figured no problem having 2 input voltages (only going to use one at a time of course) and would have a switch so you can select 12v, 9v or off. I would like to include a on LED so I figured I would put that behind the voltage regulator. Do you think this is possible do I need any capacitors to keep the power "clean"?

Any help would be appreciated.

I gave a few capacitors laying around a .33uf a .1uf and a 10uf what ones would you recommend or do I need to go buy some?

wow ... I thought I'd see a lot of web based rip-offs in my day, but Ripoff-City charging $3.99 for a single voltage regulator, wtf!

here's the same part from Future (they're Canadian), $0.15:

**broken link removed**

I'd recommend you find a Cig lighter to 5v usb charger on the intertubes somewhere, and modify it to accept a 9v battery and a switch. Most of your 12v to 5v usb chargers use high efficiency switching regulators to drop the 12v down to 5v, so they operate a lot cooler. The same regulator will also accept 9v from your battery and drop it down to 5v as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back