Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB charged LiPo 10,000mah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumby101

Hi.

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm hoping to power a race timing unit I've created via LiPo, 10,000mah. I'm using the battery to power 2 X USB device (5v), a Pi Zero and a little WiFi router. Can someone suggest a battery and charger module combo that will allow me to charge to battery via USB and for the battery to output 5v?

Thanks

A decent size USB power bank rated for rather higher current output than you need.
That has everything already included.

They are almost certainly cheaper than separate parts; just make sure it's from a good supplier with a warranty, as many "high capacity" unbranded ones have fake capacities - sometimes like extra zeros fake.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this is the route I went down originally. I (carefully!) took apart a unit and then used that in the system. The issue I now have is that that unit is no longer available and I've based my 3D print around it. I would rather use a combination of components that are readily available that re-design my case around another brand of phone batter and have that then be discontinued again.
I've included an image below, showing how the current (but now unavailable) phone battery is embedded. It actually works really well.

1659429323085.png

That is a way cheaper unit and available. The adafruit board has some useful functions on board, like led outputs for 'charging', 'low battery' states which would be useful for my current application of this.

Also, if you want a good source of cheap but decent 18650 cells, look for new replacement 9 cell / 7800mAH laptop batteries on ebay - you can find them for less than £2 per cell and easily split them down.
eg.

Carefully split any series connecting strips at the centre with good cutters & fold the stubs back over the centre of the cell ends; it leaves you with cells that have "solder tags" at a fraction the cost of good quality commercial tagged cells.

I use loads of them..

IMG_7465.jpg

That's a neat hack! I'm not super confident wiring up batteries. I've managed to find a 10,000mah lipo for £12. I'm going to use a LiPo Rider Plus Charger/Booster to charge it. There is more info on that device here...

I'll report back on how this pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back