Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB cable extension possible..???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

Well..

my goodness.

i'm now relieved in a pump project..

there is only one porblem the pump is stucked in the hole in the ground.

@ aproxx 40 meters..

i want to let down a Web cam (whit light..) to look @ it..wy it is stuck..

has any one a idea how i could make the webcam..

work whit suchs a long cable

i was thinking of using UTP Network cable..

and maybe a voltregulator 5volts and battery..also near the cam for enough power..??

TKS

I don't remember by heart but I think the USB is limited to some 4m
or so. This can be overcome one or two times by using hub and
that's pretty much it (or somewhere close). You can try to cut the
USB cable in the middle and splice it with your own 4-wire shielded
cable. I wouldn't expect it to work on ca 1000% above spec but
it you do try it let us know if it workes.
As an alternative, you can google for ethernet cameras.
Maybe someone else has better idea...

usb cam...

is the problem

the 5volt power...(usb is limited to 500ma..)

or is it the signal..??/

TKS

Under specifications, the maximum cable length is 5m. Using hubs, you are allowed to extend up to a maximum of 30m. The problem lies with the signal. When electrical conductors get too large, their resistances/inductance/capacitances come into play to lead to signal distortion.
You can try pushing the limits, but there's no guarantee it would work. Why not hang a wireless camera? It could work, albeit at lower resolutions.

will

try to..

extend the cable..

network cable should indeed work fine..???

maybe the signal from a camera aren't that 'touchable.'

aren't there any amplifiers..?

TKS

ps 2 if the camera works whit the cable rounded it up (round 25cm) would it then also work if you pul the cable straight..?? (40m)

Re: will

TKS said:
ps 2 if the camera works whit the cable rounded it up (round 25cm) would it then also work if you pul the cable straight..?? (40m)

In theory, yes. It may work better as induction in a coil will cause loss of signal.

if itz a low speed usb device, u could use usb extensions to a certain length. (altho u cud use a repeater every 10M to help overcome the signal loss

even beta is u cud use a camera what uses a standard phono cable

i would go with just the USB hubs make the cable longer that way the signal would not suffer as badly. that would probly be the easest way to do it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back