Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB 2.0 extension cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
I'm looking for about a 50 foot extension cable, but seems like there is a 16 foot limit. I have found a few that claim to be 'active', but only use existing USB power, and get poor reviews. I can probably get by with a little less than 50 feet, just an eyeball estimate for running it 'nicely'.

Anyway, this is for a USB wireless network adapter, Linksys WUSB100. I need to move it to the front of the house for a stronger signal. It works okay now, but bad weather kills the connection to my city's free wifi internet. I have some ethernet based equipment, but still haven't gotten it configured yet, but think I'm getting closer. Unfortunately, I keep getting locked out of the configuration, resetting doesn't automatically get me back in. Got to mess around a while, until I find my way back. Anyway, the USB works now, just want to improve. Hopefully, I'll eventually get the Ethernet stuff sorted out, and put an antenna on the roof.

maximum length between 2 USB devices is 5 meters (that 16.4f if mine calc is correct). If you want to extend more then 5m you need to put USB repeater or USB HUB between them. The maximum total number of this devices is 3, so theoretical maximum length between your computer and "end device" is
comp - 5m - hub - 5m - hub - 5m - hub - 5m - "device" == 20m

the best way to solve your problem (and much cheeper then bunch of cables and usb hubs) is to get cheep AP and connect via ethernet (as you already stated)

20 meters is pretty close to 50 feet, but three hubs/power adapters... Not what I was hoping for...

The ethernet thing is really is getting to be a real pain. So many things to set. Pretty sure something is blocking my connection. The AP detects the city's Wifi, so know that is working, but the computer doesn't seem to detect the AP. Weird, because it let's me into the configuration. The AP is a D-Link DWL-2100AP, the computer is an HP running Vista Home Premium. New to networking, wireless, and Vista, so progress is aggravating and slow.

20 meters is pretty close to 50 feet, but three hubs/power adapters... Not what I was hoping for...
yup, I know, it's a bugger .. even with usb powered hub's it is still not worth the effort .. especially as, depending on the device, result might not be that rewarding .. (huge delay .. ) especially for wifi adapter.
The ethernet thing is really is getting to be a real pain. So many things to set. Pretty sure something is blocking my connection. The AP detects the city's Wifi, so know that is working, but the computer doesn't seem to detect the AP. Weird, because it let's me into the configuration. The AP is a D-Link DWL-2100AP, the computer is an HP running Vista Home Premium. New to networking, wireless, and Vista, so progress is aggravating and slow.

the setup depends on the ISP .. if you have to make vpn trought ISP's wifi connection to connect to Internet, you have to setup your AP into "repeater" mode and then connect from your wifi dongle as you are doing it now, other way is to setup the AP as bridge and connect via ethernet (create that vpn as usual only trough AP) .. important thing is, you must not allow your AP to "play router" but to act as a dumb switch... If you do not need to use vpn trough that ISP connection, the AP can be setupped any way around, it can go repeater to connect via wifi, bridge to get the "real ip" directly on PC or as a router (nat, masquerading ..) so it will firewall your PC from the world ...

IIRC the "D-Link DWL-2100AP" can also make the vpn to the ISP itself if needed, it can for sure be setupped as repeater (maybe the easiest solution for you, no need for eth cable), bridge, router .. I do not have one near me so I cannot check out the config screen but it should be easy to setup.

Why not convert to I2C? That way you can cover 3,280feet.

I2C can't support the data rate of USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back